Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIFi signal not reaching all rooms

Options
  • 25-01-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, I have eircom broadband in the house. Its an old enough house and the walls are thicker than modern houses. I have the eircom motorolla router in the hallway by the phone. It works perfectly in all except one room which is an real nuisance. I only have one phone piont in the house so moving the router isnt an option. I recently got what was supposed to be a stronger router but it was the same thing. Has anyone any suggestions on how I could get around this problem?... Im not well up on how wifi actually works but I would have thought there must be some sort of `relay yoke`available which i could put half way between the router and the room which isnt recieving the signal that would just sent the signal the rest of the way. Is that just me being naive?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What's the model/make of the second router that you bought?

Many routers have a relay mode which does exactly what you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

there are two simplish options

1. Re the wireless router there are different types. The two main types still around are G and N. The N ones had a better signal and would probably work much better. As far as I am aware, the ones that are given out free by your bb provider tend to be the older, less penetrating G variety.
    So you could in theory phone them up and ask for a N router instead, all they can say is no.
    Another alternative is to go an buy yourself a N router and replace the original, dependent on where you get it, it can cost 50 to 150 euro.

There are also special plugs that you can buy that allow you to use your electric wiring to supply a bb connection to other parts of the house.The would work as follows...
    1. Buy plugs
    2. Connect network cable from back of router to plug
    3. plug second (receiver) plug into room with no wifi.
    4. Connect wired network cable from this receiver plug into your laptop/pc etc. (NOTE: This will only give you a wired connection, not wifi) These homeplugs cost between 50 -120 euro)

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 45 castrolracing

its a netgear n-300 router, i found no difference between it and the motorolla g router

• Registered Users Posts: 45 castrolracing

its a netgear n-300 router. the thing with the plugs isnt an option, i has to be wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi, I have eircom broadband in the house. Its an old enough house and the walls are thicker than modern houses. I have the eircom motorolla router in the hallway by the phone. It works perfectly in all except one room which is an real nuisance. I only have one phone piont in the house so moving the router isnt an option. I recently got what was supposed to be a stronger router but it was the same thing. Has anyone any suggestions on how I could get around this problem?... Im not well up on how wifi actually works but I would have thought there must be some sort of `relay yoke`available which i could put half way between the router and the room which isnt recieving the signal that would just sent the signal the rest of the way. Is that just me being naive?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi Castrolracing
    This link will take you to our wireless set up and guide. It is possible to have a cold spot in any building. Yes you can get boosters, as you mention and this may help.
    Tony

• Advertisement
Advertisement