Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/slush done my chain

Options
  • 25-01-2011 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

I cycled home on the first day of the snow and got marroned as the snow stuck. I was committed to cycling the rest of the way. At each traffic light slush was accumilating in the breaks and cogs. When i got home i put the bike in the shed until the thaw but noticed my chain rusted when i took the bike out. I put oil on it but it isnt taking. It just goes back to its dry parched rust colour look.
    Whats happening aside from that is the my gears are starting to slip the odd time i take off from lights.

Any tips on what i should do. Time to bring it in for a service?. 3 in one oil isnt taking to the chain. Would a lube be better in this scenario?

Its a Trek 7.2 by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You probably need a new chain and probably a cassette, depending on how severe the rusting is. Check your cables too.

Snow/Ice is bad, bad, bad for bikes, you really should have given it a thorough wiping down after getting home. Small consolation now, I know, but at least you won't do it again.

Oh, use proper bike lubricant. It's not super exotic or expensive so there is no reason not to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

+1 with DV.

If you're lubing a chain, pour some lube on a cloth and clean the chain with it. maybe spray some degreaser on it first and wipe it off prior to applying the lube. This might take some or all of the oxide/crud/salt etc off of the chain. Avoid pouring anything (especially the likes of 3 in 1) onto the chain as all it does is gather dirt whihc will damage the lube applied between the links in the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your chain is rusting due to the salt content in the slush (from what was sprayed on the road). Salt/salt water is poison to metals.

It's salvageable certainly. You'll need to remove and scrub your chain, cassette and any other metal bit which have rusted, using a stuff bristled toothbrush.

You can use a mixture of water and baking soda. Coke will also work in a pinch, though you will need to keep rinsing it to prevent the coke from drying out and becoming sticky. Rinse the parts thoroughly in tap water, and soak liberally in WD40 to flush out the water. Leave for a couple of hours (hang the chain up) to allow the WD40 to evaporate, and then apply your favourite lubricant. 3-in-one oil is OK, but you would be better off with an actual chain oil like Finish Line stuff.

If you can after cycling in snow, rinse your bike off from a hose with running fresh water. The only problem is that it may freeze if the temps are cold and it's being left in a shed so if possible, best to leave it in a relatively warm place (like a utility room) overnight. Frozen water isn't that bad for bikes, but water expands when it freezes so you could shorten the lifespan of many components if they're clogged with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Thanks ill try that and yeah i was kicking myself i didnt give it a thorough wiping down after getting home. Lesson learned anyway.

Advertisement