Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

schooling question

Options
  • 25-01-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, Just got my new mare, and hope to start schooling her once she has settled in. Just wonder if you could give me some advice on the amount of time to give to it each day, she has been out of work for a while and i wanted to concentrate on walk and trot for a while, but how long should the sessions be ?. I will be using a field to school her in. thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think half an hour for the first week should be enough, then slowly build up after that. Then add 10 minutes on every 2 days, so it'll be like:

Day 1-7: 30 mins
    Day 8: break
    Day 9 and 10: 40 mins
    Day 11 and 12: 50 mins
    Day 13 and 14: 60 mins
    Day 15: break

And then continue at an hour for a couple of weeks. When you feel she's ready to go longer, then you may add on a few minutes to your training session.

You know your horse best. If you think she's unfit for an extra 10 minutes, keep her where she is until you think she is fit for it. Take things slowly.

Advertisement