Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI's The Mouth

Options
  • 25-01-2011 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used this yet? It looks like great fun. Basically you can sing a melody and transform it into a melody played on piano, synth etc. You can record beats into it and process them into melodies too.

But are the programs like this encouraging the death of real musicianship?

I don't think it is. Just another way to make music and looks like great craic.

It may encourage a lot of people who don't play instruments but have a feel for melody to start writing and that can only be good.

By the way, has this kind of thing been done before or is it unique and the first of it's kind? Never seen anything like it personally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

By the way, I was exaggerating with the death of musicianship comment. That will never happen. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Looks fun alright...but am I the only one that thought that was an absolutely horrendous demo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SinewaveSurfer

It's a fun doodad. The funness is measured by how into vocoder/talkbox type sounds you are - or indeed tweaking reaktor patches if you own reaktor.

I knew it was right up my alley before I bought it, and it is, so if you have your doubts before hand you *might* be disappointed. The demos are pretty representative of what you gonna get...barring that the voice->midi is a bit flakey

I have a good vocoder already so I don't really need that function. The voice to midi is what interests me, even a flakey one might be somewhat useful. I'd imagine it's a hard technology to implement.

Thought the demo got across what the product does. It could have shown more of it's features in a comprehensive manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭SinewaveSurfer

flyswatter wrote: »
    I have a good vocoder already so I don't really need that function. The voice to midi is what interests me, even a flakey one might be somewhat useful. I'd imagine it's a hard technology to implement.

Thought the demo got across what the product does. It could have shown more of it's features in a comprehensive manner.

oh ya, don't get me wrong - it's useful - even if a bit flakey at times. Just making sure you know beforehand. Could even be my mic ?
    in the demos there isn't a single bum-note, so, just puttin it out there for the record.

Curious what vocoder you're using ? I'm running OSX...
    this one gets alot of praise, but it's priced a little out of my league:
    http://www.eiosis.com/elsvocoder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

will have to try this, i dont really see myself making anything decent with it but it looks real fun.

oh ya, don't get me wrong - it's useful - even if a bit flakey at times. Just making sure you know beforehand. Could even be my mic ?
    in the demos there isn't a single bum-note, so, just puttin it out there for the record.

Curious what vocoder you're using ? I'm running OSX...
    this one gets alot of praise, but it's priced a little out of my league:
    http://www.eiosis.com/elsvocoder

What mic are you using? Probably no bum notes cos NI most likely have really expensive mics to piss around with!

I'm using Vocodex which is a stock vocoder plugin that came with FL Studio 9 I think. Kind of makes the older FL vocoder a bit redundant. It's very good.

Advertisement