Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to save for a deposit for a 1br in Dublin

Options
  • 25-01-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've saved up a bit of cash contracting in the UK and I'm leaving soon to go to Australia for at least a year. I'm looking at sticking some money in savings with the hope of buying a 1br in north or central Dublin upon my return in a year or two. How much do you think is required for a deposit? Is €35k enough??

I haven't a clue about mortgages and have been out of Ireland for nearly 7 years so relevant constructive comments only please.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I believe the current maximum LTV on one-beds is around 80% at the moment from some lenders - this may reduce further. I would target 30% of purchase price as what you need to have saved.

However I wouldn't be limiting myself to a one bed if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Your problem on your return will be providing bank with assurances on your capability to pay a mortgage, to satisfy that you will probably need a fultime job and be in employment for a while.

Maybe apartments will be 100k in that area in which case you would have a decent amont of equity and be a lower risk to the bank.

Advertisement