Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dtt on dma2x00 extender?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I currently have vista pc upstairs and 3 linksys extenders downstairs through which I stream music video photos and analogue tv. My intention is to upgrade to get satellite and dtt instead of analogue through the extenders and onto my tvs downstairs. So I am after purchasing windows 7 and a blackgold dvb-s, dvb-s2, dvb-t tuner (both in the post) to add to my set up.

I am after doing a bit of further reading to see how I go about setting this up. I am after getting a bit of a scare seeing that the extenders don't support h264. Does this mean I am sh1t out of luck trying to recieve my irish dtt and HD freesat as live/recorded tv on my TVs downstairs? I would live without the satellite HD channels but am really hoping I will have irish dtt... Will I only be able to get them on the pc? The wife won't be too happy considering the money I am after spending!! :eek:

I'd appreciate if anyone has tried this set up or something similar? I have a feeling the xbox would work where the dma2200 might not but the noise from the xbox rules it out as a replacement for the dma extender in the bedroom, not to mention the expense of buying them.

I hope I have posted this topic in the right area if not apologies perhaps one of the mods can move it.

I look forward to any help.

Thanks

Lid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I'm fairly sure those extenders are discontinued - very few extender devices now apart from the Xbox. Wireless is pretty bad at carrying HD video - just about ok for standard definition. You really need cabled links for satisfactory HD distribution. I have had limited success at using WiFi for distributing RTE2 HD from a media PC to a DLNA-enabled TV. WiFi works most of the time for SD, but cable is the best solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lid1978

fat-tony wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure those extenders are discontinued - very few extender devices now apart from the Xbox. Wireless is pretty bad at carrying HD video - just about ok for standard definition. You really need cabled links for satisfactory HD distribution. I have had limited success at using WiFi for distributing RTE2 HD from a media PC to a DLNA-enabled TV. WiFi works most of the time for SD, but cable is the best solution.

I have extenders cabled and all is working fine with analogue tv streaming live on vista. I am just wondering if anyone with a similar set up has managed to get dtt to work with windows 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I use the DVBViewer recording service which will happily stream SD over a wireless network. HD really needs a wired network.

rlogue wrote: »
    I use the DVBViewer recording service which will happily stream SD over a wireless network. HD really needs a wired network.

What hardware do you use to connect to your tv in order to view the live broadcast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

fat-tony wrote: »

The support is discontinued.

H264 capabilities are already in the hardware, like everything its incomplete firmware that is the problem. The Xbox was patched to do this. Its the same type hardware as the Linksys. I suggest you get onto Linksys.

• Advertisement

STB wrote: »
    The support is discontinued.

H264 capabilities are already in the hardware, like everything its incomplete firmware that is the problem. The Xbox was patched to do this. Its the same type hardware as the Linksys. I suggest you get onto Linksys.

I have read on some other forums exactly this. Linksys it seems are not interested now that the extenders are discontinued. Will be penning a strongly worded email to Linksys.icon8.gif
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

If you can pick up Saorview then a DVB T tuner card can be used in your PC plus a DVB-S2 card for Freesat using the DVBViewer Recording Service enables you to stream TV around your network.

You will struggle to stream HD on a wireless network but SD works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

USB Tuner DTT stick even.
    PC card makes sense for satellite as it powers the LNB. USB can't provide the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

lid1978 wrote: »
    I have read on some other forums exactly this. Linksys it seems are not interested now that the extenders are discontinued. Will be penning a strongly worded email to Linksys.icon8.gif
    Thanks
    I don't want to depress you entirely, but Linksys will not be interested. There is no market for extenders - no one makes them anymore. As other posters have indicated you can distribute SD across a wireless network (I've used my Win 7 PC plugged into an ethernet port on my D-Link ADSL router and streamed to a remote Linksys router configured as a bridge into an ethernet port on my Sony TV). OK for SD tv providing you can dedicate channel bandwidth, but once you try to stream uncompressed WAV sound files or H.264 HD video - game over! Might work for 5 -10 mins or 5 -10 seconds, but ultimately no good for family viewing.

The HTPC forum is probably your best bet for further discussion http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643

thanks for the replies folks. I hope at least to set up analogue and satellite tv on the extenders will have to look into another solution for recieving dtt around the house.

Bummer...

• Advertisement
Advertisement