Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion

Options
  • 25-01-2011 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Can i make a suggestion to mods or anybody who can add something to the site.
    Would it be a good idea to add a link for musicians who are looking for other musicians to be able to do it by province or county as opposed to the whole country . I live in Cavan and i cannot find any musicians around my end of the country trying to do covers to make a few quid . I dont mind travelling but i dont want to be heading down to Dublin to meet a drummer and then accross to Roscommon to meet a guitar player when i might be able to meet a few lads in the same county as me trying to do the same thing .
    If i am prepared to head to those counties i could click on that link and see who is looking for a band in that county / province .
    Just an idea that might help lads narrow down the search for musos , likewise i have contacted lads that dont want to head to Cavan but are prepared to travel as far as Navan , some guys come on here and dont state where they are from so this might help filter out the B*LLS**T and make it easier to find guys / girls

Regards

Bayles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Hi Bayles, Im not a mod obviously but a few different suggestions like that have been made. Ya couldnt do it by county anyway cos that would involve 32 new sub forums which would be a huge amount of work id say. Province could work but the main forum would become very very quiet if you took all the musicians looking for bands/bands looking for musicians out of it. Dunno if you already tried this, but you could go to the Advanced Search and look for the word "Cavan" just in the music forum. People not stating where they are based etc has always been a problem here. You would think its a fairly important bit of info but somehow tons of people forget to mention it :) Best of luck finding a band anyway man.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Assuming you don't know how to do it, click the Search this Forum link on the top right of the forum index page. Enter "Cavan" into the box, click Go and you'll get a list of all threads in the Bands & Musicians forum that mention Cavan. See below:

cavan_search_example.jpg

The idea of prefixes has been discussed before, most recently here. In reality if people would just take a few minutes to read this and write informative posts then this wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Yeah, I think the problem lies with "Boards" users rather than "Boards" itself. You would not believe the amount of posts that consist of something like "singer and guitarist wanted". :rolleyes: It is up to everyone who uses the forum to make it as easy as possible for each other to browse through it. All it takes is for people to put the location in brackets after the thread title. Hardly rocket science, is it ? :D

EDIT : Had a quick look through pages 1-3 and in fairness, I'd say that about just over half the threads have a location stated. Not bad I suppose, but still a fair way to go.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the problem lies with "Boards" users rather than "Boards" itself. You would not believe the amount of posts that consist of something like "singer and guitarist wanted". :rolleyes: It is up to everyone who uses the forum to make it as easy as possible for each other to browse through it. All it takes is for people to put the location in brackets after the thread title. Hardly rocket science, is it ? :D

EDIT : Had a quick look through pages 1-3 and in fairness, I'd say that about just over half the threads have a location stated. Not bad I suppose, but still a fair way to go.
    Most of the users that post in this forum aren't particularly active on the rest of the site and, even with the best will in the world, people don't tend to read charters and other sticky threads at the top of forums until they've been told to. I've no idea how many times I've posted my text template asking users to add more information to their thread but it must be well into the hundreds at this stage.

Malice wrote: »
    I've no idea how many times I've posted my text template asking users to add more information to their thread but it must be well into the hundreds at this stage.

Yes, I can vouch for that..I noticed a lot of them. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭flameboy87

Yes there is a problem with users not using the forums correctly and giving the right information but if you type in Cavan in the search for example, if there is not a mention of the county in particular adds then the chance can be lost to meet potential musicians.

How about the forum be split in to provinces. Each new entry in the province section could automatically be entered in to the whole country forum. There can be a link between them but still keeps everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've suggested before that we do what's in some other forums, and have mandatory prefixes for threads that you select in a drop down menu next to your subject. It's been implemented in the Motors 'DIY Maintenance' forum, and is working really well - it's no big deal for the admins to switch on.

You'd just have a list of counties next to your subject box, click one, type your subject and then in the forum you'd see thread titles like '[Cork] Bass Player needed' & '[Lovely lovely Leitrim] Lead Player available'.

Dog easy to do!

Dog easy to do!

As is putting the location in brackets after the thread title. :p

Right, so option a - we say your idea of people having to manually type stuff in, predominantly forgetting is better than option b - where they have to select where they are in a drop down, resulting in a more organised forum that reads more easily, is more easily searched, and doesn't cost anymore?

Right, so option a - we say your idea of people having to manually type stuff in

How much extra time and energy is involved by typing "Dublin", or "Cavan", etc after a thread title ? :confused: If people forget, they can always fill it in later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Right, so option a - we say your idea of people having to manually type stuff in, predominantly forgetting is better than option b - where they have to select where they are in a drop down, resulting in a more organised forum that reads more easily, is more easily searched, and doesn't cost anymore?
    Paint, even if you have a prefix for county, you still have to sift through what instrument they play, whether its a band looking for a musician or the other way round, New band or established, covers or originals etc so i dont think it would speed it up much. Also, the prefix options i have seen are defaulted to "No Prefix" so people will probably ignore it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭flameboy87

Typing in the county is not about a time issue. It about the county needing to be entered in to the ads of other posters. If i look for people in leinster and someone types in dublin or wicklow, i am then lost to them. Some searches don't find the full list of potential musicians and thats the main issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

This may sound daft but IMAO the people from the main cities in this country of ours dont concider this a big issue (only an opinion) . If they log on looking for a drummer or singer chances are they will find someone from either Dublin or Cork etc etc , however where i live is pretty remote as could be for a lot of people who frequent this forum ,

I am from Dublin origionally and know its a damn site easier to hook up with a band than it is in a fairly small town or satelite village like in my case, My initial comment is based on the frustration i have trying to find musicians in my catchment area and reckon that a link of some description could help musicians who live in towns or villages like i do make contact and maby get a directory of who is where and who does what and narrow down the search .

You also have to remember that broadband is still a major issue up here as is for many little towns in the country . Im sure there is plenty of musicians who have difficulty accessing sites like boards.ie or are unaware of its existance so word of mouth is an important thing when looking for musicians i know it sounds like a throwback to the 1930s but there you go

Rant over

Cheers

Bayles

Paint Doctor had a similiar thread recently. In it, I suggested that he post in the "Feedback" forum. Paint Doctor : you might let us know if you did so, and if so what was the reaction ? When you post in that forum, the powers that be, can consider and respond to your suggestion. If it as easy as Paint Doctor claims, then I should not imagine there being much of a problem.

Here is a link to the Feedback forum. Best of luck with it :) :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=82

bayles wrote: »
    This may sound daft but IMAO the people from the main cities in this country of ours dont concider this a big issue (only an opinion) . If they log on looking for a drummer or singer chances are they will find someone from either Dublin or Cork etc etc , however where i live is pretty remote as could be for a lot of people who frequent this forum ,
    What does IMAO mean?
    I am from Dublin origionally and know its a damn site easier to hook up with a band than it is in a fairly small town or satelite village like in my case, My initial comment is based on the frustration i have trying to find musicians in my catchment area and reckon that a link of some description could help musicians who live in towns or villages like i do make contact and maby get a directory of who is where and who does what and narrow down the search .
    This is actually something I was thinking about before, I could create a sticky thread put up poster's proficiencies, any links to music and most importantly their location. I don't know how well that would work though. I think I'll go and create a separate thread to see what feedback I get to avoid dragging this thread off-topic.
    bayles wrote:
    You also have to remember that broadband is still a major issue up here as is for many little towns in the country . Im sure there is plenty of musicians who have difficulty accessing sites like boards.ie or are unaware of its existance so word of mouth is an important thing when looking for musicians i know it sounds like a throwback to the 1930s but there you go
    Broadband might be a major issue but Internet access shouldn't be once you have a landline. As slow as it may be, dial-up is still better than nothing and I for one have visited Boards.ie on dial-up. There is also satellite broadband. I know little or nothing about it but I know someone in Clifden who uses it for running a business from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

MALICE , IMAO = In My Arrogant Opinion .

MALICE , IMAO = In My Arrogant Opinion .
    Thanks for that. I don't know why I didn't just do an Internet search for it. I'd seen IMHO and IMNSHO before but not IMAO :).

Good for you !! Hope you get what you are looking for. :)

Advertisement