Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried making your own tofu?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

I just found this recipe in the Winter 2010 Viva magazine. Looks easy enough! A bit of fun for a rainy day :) They do say it makes quite soft tofu so I'm thinking desserts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I just found this recipe in the Winter 2010 Viva magazine. Looks easy enough! A bit of fun for a rainy day :) They do say it makes quite soft tofu so I'm thinking desserts...

I've never done it with tofu, but I did make paneer this way when I was veggie. Pretty much the same process only I used cow's milk and lemon juice. Unfortunately it was pretty time consuming more expensive than just buying the stuff. This looks to be the same: you can get 750g of tofu in the Asian shop I go to for the same price as a litre of soya milk... *carries the 1 etc....* so that's twice the tofu for the same price.

Sorry :( On the other hand, it was fun making it all the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

:P well, say all the shops that sold tofu were shut and you happened to have unsweetened unfortified soya milk and calcium sulphate in your cupboard... it might come in handy someday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

:P well, say all the shops that sold tofu were shut and you happened to have unsweetened unfortified soya milk and calcium sulphate in your cupboard... it might come in handy someday ;)
    Touché.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I've made my own tofu before. It wasn't the soft type. It was actually very nice and fresh tasting. :) Not sure it's worth the effort though but I only made it as a kitchen experiment anyway. I made it from soya beans*, not from soya milk, so that I would have okara as well.

It'd be interesting to see how the one you linked to turns out. Mmm tofu desserts...

Advertisement