Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N87 - Ballyconnell Relief Road

Options
  • 24-01-2011 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Minister for Transport Pat Carey announced today that this scheme would start construction in 2011.

Description from the NRA website:
    The scheme which is being progressed by Cavan County Council comprises of 1.8km of standard single carriageway which will link the N87 Belturbet Road to the R205 around Ballyconnell town thus removing the significant volumes of HGV traffic from the town centre.

This is what I call a microscheme. Maybe Petecavan can snap a few shots for us over the summer :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Desperate measures to try and hold onto two seats in Cavan/ Monaghan?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This type of small scheme is the sort of thing that should go ahead, it has a significant labour content and isn't hugely expensive. It is only an accident of history that this is on a national secondary road, a couple of the years ago the NRA or the Minister would hardly have made much effort to announce it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Not meaning to sound overly cynical but I suspect that this is a ploy to hold on to whatever FF seats are in jeopardy in this area.

But if it goes ahead, great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Another minor project which would not make the headlines in the boom years. Some of the realignments due on the N17 over the next 2 years would probably cost more than this scheme.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

significant volumes of HGV traffic
    Shouldn't even be a national route. They should downgrade to R when this scheme is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Irishlad11

Work seems to have started on this now. They're clearing the route now. Seems like its going to meet the N87 at the Boxmore Factory

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Irishlad11 wrote: »
    Work seems to have started on this now. They're clearing the route now. Seems like its going to meet the N87 at the Boxmore Factory
    I am really, really surprised this went ahead. It disappeared from works lists a few months back. I thought they had quietly dropped it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

May just be the council clearing the CPOed land. Remember how long ago the Arklow-Rathnew scheme was cleared!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

MYOB wrote: »
    May just be the council clearing the CPOed land. Remember how long ago the Arklow-Rathnew scheme was cleared!
    nope, it looks like they intend to build it to completion!
    Published: Wednesday, 31st August, 2011 5:30pm

Work on the new €3.3 million Ballyconnell 1.1 kilometer inner relief road is progressing rapidly and will feature two roundabouts and an expansive new bridge over the Woodford Canal.

The work commenced in June and is set to be completed by August, 2012. The contract is being carried out by Gibson Brothers from Banbridge who recently carried out the 1 kilometer realignment project on the Belturbet to Ballyconnell road at Staghall.
    http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/08/31/4006401-new-inner-relief-road-set-/

It started in June? The NRA never even bothered announcing it :)

Can someone update the thread title please?

• Advertisement

I know this scheme is very small but if anyone is up Cavan Border way could they take a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 I_am_red

Suppose the main reason the NRA never announced this is that its a realignment of the r205 which is connecting to the n87, not part of the n87 itself. Most people round these parts were calling it the "Quinn road" as it was planned in the days when his lorries were clogging up the town during the boom. Not much need for it these days....

I_am_red wrote: »
    Suppose the main reason the NRA never announced this is that its a realignment of the r205 which is connecting to the n87, not part of the n87 itself. Most people round these parts were calling it the "Quinn road" as it was planned in the days when his lorries were clogging up the town during the boom. Not much need for it these days....
    Got an update for us though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

spacetweek wrote: »
    Got an update for us though?

Road is coming along very well,Roundabout is almost complete on the belturbet road,This allows for old ballyconnell road and the Boxmore/ida park to go of it,the bridge is still been worked on and a huge propeller went through belturbet just for christmas for,If you type in youtube "Did anyone order a bridge",There sould be a video of it going through belturbet.

Will keep yous posted when i see it again.

This article, written on 3rd July, says the scheme should be finished by the end of July. How are things looking up there these days?

I_am_red wrote: »
    Argh, then it is mislabelled! However, at 1.8 km, it seems quite long to be only connecting the R205 to the N87. Is there a map anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Wel the road appears to be completed from either ends of the road, The new roundabout which is on the N87 which connects the new inner relief road and Boxmore plastics enternce and comes out on the R205.

The road overall looks very narrow, If two lorrys met on it it would appear that they would have to slow down to let each other by.

My verdict is that they made a mess of the roundabout, Its far to narrow and lorrys are up on top of it even before they get around it.

There maybe people with different aspects of it but that mine anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Local radio is saying that this is to open today.

Any pictures/map welcome. Can't find anything.

It's visible on Bing Maps. link

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

spacetweek wrote: »
    It's visible on Bing Maps. link

The clumps of factorys north and south of the relief road are Quinn Glass Quinn Packaging Quinn Insulation etc etc etc.....or whatever they call them nowadays. The northern end of the relief road ends on an R road, the town is not actually bypassed by a new N road.....which N road continues straight through from east to west. :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The clumps of factorys north and south of the relief road are Quinn Glass Quinn Packaging Quinn Insulation etc etc etc.....or whatever they call them nowadays. The northern end of the relief road ends on an R road, the town is not actually bypassed by a new N road.....which N road continues straight through from east to west. :)

Yes - ridiculous - this project has been mislabelled all along!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is, in fact, the Boulevard Seán Quinn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

This road
    This scheme comprised of 1.3km of standard single carriageway which links the N87 Belturbet Road to the R205 around Ballyconnell town thus removing the significant volumes of HGV traffic from the town centre. The construction contract was awarded to Gibson Bros (Ireland) Ltd., the contract commenced in June 2011 and the road opened to traffic on 31st August 2012.

is not on Openstreetmap.

I know some of the folk here are involved with the project.

Don't forget about the little bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I've added it to OSM now but I had to guess that one of the 2 roundabouts mentioned was on the N87 and not the R205, so if anyone knows differently let me know and I can change it.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.11638&lon=-7.57385&zoom=15&layers=M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Yep. As bypasses go it doesn't really bypass very much!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Quickelles wrote: »
    Yep. As bypasses go it doesn't really bypass very much!

Yep, but its title "relief road" is very apt as it relieves the centre of Ballyconnell of HGV traffic from Sean Quinn's industrial activities to the north and east of the village. The only drawback is that it can't be extended into a full bypass in the future.

Advertisement