Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exemptions from Communications and Work Experience Fetac Level 5

Options
  • 24-01-2011 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey,

I am wondering if you have already completed and passed the Communications (G20001) and Work Experience (W20008) modules and you apply for another unrelated Fetac level five course, do you have to do the Communications (G20001) and Work Experience (W20008) modules again?

I am completing an Art, Craft and Design course at the moment and am thinking about doing Software Engineering in St Johns Central College Cork next year and I am wondering if I'll have to repeat these modules. As far as I can tell, they are the exact same modules as I am doing this year.

Thanks a million for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

No, once you have them done you won't have to do them again. Tell your year head and they will give you a piece of paper to fill out (sometimes this isn't even needed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Laurielaurel

Dean820, You're great, Thanks! :)

So that means that I'll only have the six subjects to do, yeah? Or do I have to take another two to make up the eight?

Thanks a million again

No, for any time where you have Communications or Work Experience you'll have no class. You can go home if its the last class or get an extra hour sleep if its in the morning. Handy. :)

Glad I can help. Hope everything turns out great for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Just a point here op.

I tell my students that if they are considering another course that really to make it worthwhile. I mean if you already have a level 5 then consider a level 6 or 7. Go forward by going up the scale. It really makes sense and also not 100% sure if you can get a grant to do another level 5 award if you already have completed a level 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ryan T wrote: »
    if you already have a level 5 then consider a level 6 or 7. Go forward by going up the scale. It really makes sense and also not 100% sure if you can get a grant to do another level 5 award if you already have completed a level 5.

You won't get a grant for going across levels, you must be progressing.

You are exempt from Communications. However, you won't get an award in the other course without completing work experience in a relevant workplace.

To be honest, I don't know why you'd want to skip that module anyway. The biggest advantage of a FETAC qualification is the large part work experience plays. If it's the portfolio that's worrying you, just resubmit the pieces that aren't specific to your course and complete the rest. If you intend going straight into employment after, you need to have relevant work experience.

Also, if you intend progressing onto college, check that the course you're interested in will accept results gained over 2 years - some won't.

• Advertisement

deemark wrote: »
    You are exempt from Communications. However, you won't get an award in the other course without completing work experience in a relevant workplace.

Not true. He is exempt from work experience. And you don't need to have one in a relevant workplace. Even if it was his first time doing it, St. Johns (where the OP is planning on going) aren't strict if you can't get a relevant work experience in your subject's particular field. As long as a student gets one and completes the two weeks and does all the paperwork, they're fine. Maybe things have changed since you did your FETAC course/or got your information with the recession and all. At least this is what we were told when I was there.
    To be honest, I don't know why you'd want to skip that module anyway. The biggest advantage of a FETAC qualification is the large part work experience plays. If it's the portfolio that's worrying you, just resubmit the pieces that aren't specific to your course and complete the rest. If you intend going straight into employment after, you need to have relevant work experience.

True but for many, it can be a real headache finding a place to take them on these days.

Dean820 wrote: »
    Not true. He is exempt from work experience. And you don't need to have one in a relevant workplace. Even if it was his first time doing it, St. Johns (where the OP is planning on going) aren't strict if you can't get a relevant work experience in your subject's particular field. As long as a student gets one and completes the two weeks and does all the paperwork, they're fine. Maybe things have changed since you did your FETAC course/or got your information with the recession and all. At least this is what we were told when I was there.

I am a co-ordinator of a FETAC course and have to say that I (or any of the other co-ordinators in my centre) would not allow a student to skip the work experience element (even if it is allowed) as it would render the course rather pointless. I have often had students coming from other FETAC Level 5 courses, but never has one asked to or been exempted from work experience. I would certainly not prioritise giving a place to a student who wanted an exemption. Work experience informs every module of FETAC courses so what is the point in doing the course without it?

I am a co-ordinator of a FETAC course and have to say that I (or any of the other co-ordinators in my centre) would not allow a student to skip the work experience element (even if it is allowed) as it would render the course rather pointless. I have often had students coming from other FETAC Level 5 courses, but never has one asked to or been exempted from work experience. I would certainly not prioritise giving a place to a student who wanted an exemption. Work experience informs every module of FETAC courses so what is the point in doing the course without it?

A couple in my year did skip it. It was allowed. In theory, yes, the work experience module is great. But in reality, most of the people in my class spent the week either sitting around or making tea for the company employees. It wasn't really useful for most of us but yeah its still a chance to put something else on your CV. All power to anyone who did get some proper work experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Laurielaurel

Ah, I'm really sorry for causing such a fuss. I didn't mean to. I was just wondering about the whole Fetac procedure.
    I would happily repeat the Communications and Work Experience modules. It wouldn't take much work if I have already completed it before. The Work Experience module is of course an incredibly rewarding one, if done correctly and of course I'll do it in the specific area, if someone will take me. I was just wondering if I failed to find relevant work experience, would I be able to qualify with my work experience module from before.

Thank you all for your information and sorry again for causing such a stir.

Thank you all for your information and sorry again for causing such a stir.

Sure that's what Boards is for!!!

Trying not to sound like a nagging teacher, but you really should try to move up to Level 6 if you can. Have you looked into applying for third level courses (level 7 or 8) in that area using your Fetac points under the Pilot scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

Hate to tell you Deemark, but if the student didn't complete work experience, they would still get the full award if they had already completed it. It's all done automatically on the system. I would however strongly recommend students to work experience in the relevant area.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

If you've already completed a level 5 FETAC course but decide that you don't want to get a career in the course you were doing and then choose to do another unrelated level 5 course does that mean you won't get a grant?

If you've already completed a level 5 FETAC course but decide that you don't want to get a career in the course you were doing and then choose to do another unrelated level 5 course does that mean you won't get a grant?

You don't get a grant if you don't progress up the framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paudge61

You don't normally need to repeat these modules however, be careful if you are planning to progress eventually to 3rd level education because some universities/ITs stipulate that you must achieve the full FETAC award in the one sitting. Also, the FETAC requirements for 3rd level may also stipulate a minimum of say 5 distinctions so you may need to repeat these modules if you achieved a Pass or Merit. It is advised to aim to achieve 8 distinctions so that you stand a good chance of entry to 3rd level as there are many students competing for those places.
    Hey,

I am wondering if you have already completed and passed the Communications (G20001) and Work Experience (W20008) modules and you apply for another unrelated Fetac level five course, do you have to do the Communications (G20001) and Work Experience (W20008) modules again?

I am completing an Art, Craft and Design course at the moment and am thinking about doing Software Engineering in St Johns Central College Cork next year and I am wondering if I'll have to repeat these modules. As far as I can tell, they are the exact same modules as I am doing this year.

Thanks a million for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Also be aware of the fact that with the new programmes under the Common Awards System you will have to complete the full programme and you won't be able to bring modules etc from previous courses. Check with the FE provider as to which programme they are following with FETAC and also if you hope to progress to an University or IOT check with them as to their requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭celsy

Is this still the case in 2014?
    QQI are not answering my queries, does anybody know if you already have work experience & communications modules from a different course, do these still count as part of current course? Do I have to fill out an exemption form? Somebody must know for sure.
    Please help

You need to get an exemption form from your centre/college and they will complete it and match up the modules with the programmes. There are some differences between the old modules and new programmes but not a large amount. But you will need to present all the documentation from your previous FETAC/NCVA course as well ie certificates etc.

Be aware that you can only apply for an exemption if you are completing a full award ie they will only exempt you if are registering for a full award. If you plan on using your award from this year for progression then many Institutes of Technology and Universities require that you complete all the subjects in one sitting so you will have to do the modules again in order to use your QQI/FETAC results to progress. Many centres will integrate assessment into Communications and Work Experience so make sure that you are not having an impact on your results in other modules by not doing Communications and Work Experience. Finally many centres will insist on you doing Work Experience again if you are in a different vocational area - that it their right to do so under their QA process.

After all that best of luck

I think I found out on the FETAC website that if you have obtained minor awards from FETAC or NCVA previously there is no need to apply for exemptions. This is copied from PDF from a page entitled Exemption Application Process.

FETAC may, subject to certain conditions, exempt learners who have already achieved nationally recognised Awards, from completing the requirements necessary to achieve an identified FETAC (NCVA) minor Award. NB: there is no need to apply for an exemption on the basis of having a FETAC (NCVA) minor award obtained previously. This will automatically be counted towards a major award where relevant.

What FETAC (now QQI) mean is that you do not have to submit an application asking for an exemption - only those who are seeking an exemption based on a non-FETAC/NCVA award ie HETAC etc have to complete that application but your centre still has to submit a form requesting that your previous awards are credited to your account for the purpose of you getting a full award. This is called claiming an exemption as opposed to applying for an exemption.

So you will still need to complete forms for the centre as they have to match your previous award with the details on the QQI database so don't just think you have completed the module/programme and think that the match up automatically happens - talk to your centre co-ordinator and complete the necessary forms.

Be aware that you can only use an exemption if you are completing a full award ie they will only exempt you if are registering for a full award. If you plan on using your award from this year for progression then many Institutes of Technology and Universities require that you complete all the subjects in one sitting so you will have to do the modules again in order to use your QQI/FETAC results to progress.

Thanks for that, very helpful.
    Any chance you can post a link to the form I need, my tutors aren't very helpful.

• Advertisement

The form is one that must have your centre's details on it so it has to come from your college/centre. It must also be processed by them - you can not send it to QQI/FETAC yourself as the college/centre are the people who complete the entries for the awards. Ask the co-ordinator or Principal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Dean820 wrote: »
    No, for any time where you have Communications or Work Experience you'll have no class. You can go home if its the last class or get an extra hour sleep if its in the morning. Handy. :)

Glad I can help. Hope everything turns out great for you.

Just to point out, you may not have to attend class, but you may be required to do work experience in the new vocational area. Many colleges have a policy of attendance at work placements, and would consider that you need to get experience in that area, and of course the work experience day could be counted for attendance.

What FETAC (now QQI) mean is that you do not have to submit an application asking for an exemption - only those who are seeking an exemption based on a non-FETAC/NCVA award ie HETAC etc have to complete that application but your centre still has to submit a form requesting that your previous awards are credited to your account for the purpose of you getting a full award. This is called claiming an exemption as opposed to applying for an exemption.

So you will still need to complete forms for the centre as they have to match your previous award with the details on the QQI database so don't just think you have completed the module/programme and think that the match up automatically happens - talk to your centre co-ordinator and complete the necessary forms.

Be aware that you can only use an exemption if you are completing a full award ie they will only exempt you if are registering for a full award. If you plan on using your award from this year for progression then many Institutes of Technology and Universities require that you complete all the subjects in one sitting so you will have to do the modules again in order to use your QQI/FETAC results to progress.
    People should also not that if they have FETAC qualifications from a certain year, you may not qualify for an exemption. Work Experience and Communications have changed, and there's a time limit for compatibility with the new modules. I don't know what year...maybe someone else does?

celsy wrote: »
    Thanks for that, very helpful.
    Any chance you can post a link to the form I need, my tutors aren't very helpful.

Do you have a FETAC Coordinator in your centre? If not, ask the principal. Tutors are just teachers who are voluntarily doing some admin work for your class group, they are not administrators.

katydid wrote: »
    Do you have a FETAC Coordinator in your centre? If not, ask the principal. Tutors are just teachers who are voluntarily doing some admin work for your class group, they are not administrators.

This is not necessarily the case in all centres. In my experience as a EE and EA it varies from centre to centre and ETB/VEC to ETB/VEC. Within the Training Centres (former FAS centres) it is the TSO that you should approach.

In the case of work experience the majority of centres will require that you both attend class and complete the vocational placement if you are in a new vocational area. If you are completing the course in a Training Centre then you will be docked your allowance for non-attendance at class.

The best bet is to check with the centre and get it in writing as to whether you can claim the exemption or not and they should be able to outline to you consequences of that exemption. Ask to see their procedures under their QA agreement.

As a result of the changes more responsibility rests with the centre. But if you are planning on using your award to progress then I would strongly advise that you complete the entire course.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 billbee

Hi regarding the communications module
    I already compleated a level 6 in communications with a distinction 8 years ago i am now doing a level 6 photography and there is a communications level 6 module the tutor said i have to do it and i dont think i should any advice please

Advertisement