Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French touring this July

Options
  • 24-01-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Due to new found singledom and a long term itch to see the Tour de France, i ve decided on getting the ferry from Cork to Roscoff this July.

I m going solo and by bike, i have good fitness and yearly commuting and sportive fitness so not overly worried about the physical side.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on routes from roscoff, or is it better to get a train to the south then cycle back.

Open to ideas suggestions and where best to view the tour? Pau/Lourdes ect

Thx

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's a few stages of the tour there, so that's what I'd be doing. I think the ferry arrives on the Sunday and there's a stage finish at Redon on Monday, Mur de Bretagne on Tuesday and Cap Frehel on Wednesday and I'd say you could cycle from one to the other as the tour isn't going the shortest way, so they're about 100km apart each.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Alternatively you can join Coronal and myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rothar man

Cool, for Sunday the 3rd of July?

how you getting down there? I was thinking of going from Cork, at moment its around €230 with the bike.....figure its best to sort the transport out first and routes ect later. would be doing it with road bike, and mimimal luggage

Do you camp? gite? hostel?

would be planning to stay for at least a week/10days.

rothar man wrote: »
    Cool, for Sunday the 3rd of July?

how you getting down there? I was thinking of going from Cork, at moment its around €230 with the bike.....figure its best to sort the transport out first and routes ect later. would be doing it with road bike, and mimimal luggage

Do you camp? gite? hostel?

would be planning to stay for at least a week/10days.

Follow the links on my signature

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I did that trip last year with a mate.

Went from Roscoff to Pontivy, then on to Redon. Then we headed for the coast and St jean Du Monts. Then from there a long cycle on to Rochefort. Then Libourne, then Mont De Marsanne. Then finally to Adast (just outside Argeles Gazost)

Great trip and very cheap. The Etape hotels along the way in all the decent size towns are perfect and cheap.

Britanny is great cycling country, wasn't much of a fan of the Vendee, too windy (as the name suggests). And the longest straighest road I have ever cycled was south of Bordeaux in the national park. It seemed never ending!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

kilns wrote: »
    And the longest straighest road I have ever cycled was south of Bordeaux in the national park. It seemed never ending!!

That's what they are all over there straight and flat roads. I once did 100km of it that lastest 2 days in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rothar man

Thx for the guidance folks,

found a better priced ferry from Celtic links ferries, from Rosslare to cherbourg only €120 return so i intend to travel on saturday july 2nd...so will prob not go south and fly home

Cap havoc, still not sure of your direction but if you are traveling same times, it would be good to get some guidance

thx

Advertisement