Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is everything in the country so expensive?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Im just so sick of paying through the roof for basic services like electricity, food, broadband, petrol etc...

Will ireland ever become a real country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It is a real country.... a really expensive one that is!

Thank you! Thank you! I'm here all week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

everything is expensive because i said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

nudist wrote: »
    I'm really curious, what your definition of a real country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 WAFC

I don't know the answer to your question but what I'd really like to see at this moment in time is an erect and excited Brian Cowen dancing with enthusiasm and aggression to Kid Creole and Coconuts greatest hits.

Go Brian, Dance it baby, dance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Im just so sick of paying through the roof for basic services like electricity, food, broadband, petrol etc...

Well at least you save a few bob on clothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Line rental is the biggest scam ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

we dont have the population size to support low prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

WAFC wrote: »
    I don't know the answer to your question but what I'd really like to see at this moment in time is an erect and excited Brian Cowen dancing with enthusiasm and aggression to Kid Creole and Coconuts greatest hits.

Go Brian, Dance it baby, dance it.
    you want to see brian cowen with a boner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Obviously someone hasn't made the big switch. Give Lucy a ring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

it boils down to 4 things

1) wages are too high
    2) Rent is too high
    3) Irish people traditionally tend to screw each other over when it come to supplying services and charge what they can get as opposed to a fair market price for the work done.
    4) stelth taxes driving up prices

result is high prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Line rental is the biggest scam ever
    yea, but you don't have to pay it with most providers. So switch if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

im gonna go with a wizard did it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

See there's the problem....you have to fix the roof every time you pay a bill. Use the door....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Wasnt there a time when people used to spend 50 quid on snazzy bottles of water? No fcuking wonder things are still so expensive when people were previously willing to shell out big cash for ridiculous things.

Cheap water is pissed out the same way as expensive water.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I find that paying through the nose is slightly cheaper than paying through the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

And buy expensive coffee beans that had been swallowed and excreted by a cat. Imagine it would taste even more acidic

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    it boils down to 3 things

1) wages are too high
    2) Rent is too high
    3) Irish people traditionally tend to screw each other over when it come to supplying services and change what they can get as oppose dto a fair market for work done.

result is high prices.

Wages are high to pay for high prices caused by high rent and high overheads.Rent for business hasn't come down since the boom it's gone up.I know of one Tv business in a shopping centre who's rent is 200k per year ,thats a lot of tellys to sell befor making a profit.In europe rent is dictated by the market and the economy not by the greed of landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

steve06 wrote: »
    yea, but you don't have to pay it with most providers. So switch if you don't like it.

That depends on whether they can provide via alternate means. I switched from Eircom to Smart Telecom, but because of my location we still had to pay the line rental, no cable or fibre optic.

Didn't use my phone for 3 years and was still paying 20 a month to those thieves.

Kills me how we have been charged through the nose for everything. Especially property. FFS.

Look at what you can get in florida for less than 100,000us dollars.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3009144020-8720-Busch-Oaks-St-Tampa-FL-33617

You wouldnt get a driveway here for that price.
    Sickening.

This one has a pool for : $84,950

http://www.trulia.com/property/3032364483-5209-Gorham-Ct-Tampa-FL-33624

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 WAFC

FatherLen wrote: »
    you want to see brian cowen with a boner?

as long as he's dancing. I have no problem with an excited and erect Brian Cowen.

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »

I can't those other providers are not in my area.I pay 65.15 per month for up to 8 meg broadband (I only ever get 5 meg) and no phone ,broadband line only.That's a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Didn't use my phone for 3 years and was still paying 20 a month to those thieves.

Why did you not get rid of it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Because we pay it OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Because we have the highest minimum wage in the world and also the most generous social welfare system in the world, these 2 things push up the price of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

biko wrote: »
    I'm really curious, what your definition of a real country?

I can't answer this. What I can tell you is each time Ireland lies about it's economy, Western Mayo and Galway extend further into the Atlantic Ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Anyone reminded of the line certain overweight women come out with when discussing pretty much any woman in the media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Jake1 wrote: »
    Kills me how we have been charged through the nose for everything. Especially property. FFS.

Look at what you can get in florida for less than 100,000us dollars.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3009144020-8720-Busch-Oaks-St-Tampa-FL-33617

You wouldnt get a driveway here for that price.
    Sickening.

This one has a pool for : $84,950

http://www.trulia.com/property/3032364483-5209-Gorham-Ct-Tampa-FL-33624

Just to note, both of those would have a yearly property tax of about $1,250

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

I know people who constantly whine about how expensive everything is but when you visit them, every light in the house is on all day (non cfl bulbs), the heating is on all day cranked up to the max with windows open plus they have 4 tv's which are always on. Plus they have a woman hired to clean the place cos they are lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Because the € came in a decade ago and eveyone rounded up the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    it boils down to 4 things

1) wages are too high
    2) Rent is too high
    3) Irish people traditionally tend to screw each other over when it come to supplying services and charge what they can get as opposed to a fair market price for the work done.
    4) stelth taxes driving up prices

result is high prices.

Wages are not that high, well they certainly don't correspond with the cost of living.

Cuts and tax increases every where but rent, utility bills, petrol, insurance, food and pretty much anything you actually need are at ridiculous, astronomical prices!!

Advertisement