Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R&A cycles, brooklyn

Options
  • 24-01-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever been? Claims to be the 'Worlds Largest Cycle Store'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Never been but got a bike from them a few years ago. They sent a 52cm bike instead of a 56cm one. I put it together and took it for a spin before I noticed. It felt crazy. They weren't happy about having to replace it! This has nothing to do with your post really but I'd say it's well worth a visit if their site is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I recall a previous thread on this.

As a victim of this rather disingenuous piece of marketing blurb (it may have a claim to the largest 'on-line' cycling store moniker), I can confirm from first hand experience, that it's probably not even the largest cycle store in its own local post code. Cram all of your cycling paraphenalia into your bedroom wardrobe and try and get in there with it and that gives you an idea of how small it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

100Suns wrote: »
    I recall a previous thread on this.

As a victim of this rather disingenuous piece of marketing blurb (it may have a claim to the largest 'on-line' cycling store moniker), I can confirm from first hand experience, that it's probably not even the largest cycle store in its own local post code. Cram all of your cycling paraphenalia into your bedroom wardrobe and try and get in there with it and that gives you an idea of how small it is.

Boo urns :(

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

i got a bike from them in 2008 and got a great deal, I agree it aint the biggest shop in the world but they do have extensive stock.
    Browsing their stock is best done on the web, followed by email enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

barrabus wrote: »
    i got a bike from them in 2008 and got a great deal, I agree it aint the biggest shop in the world but they do have extensive stock.
    Browsing their stock is best done on the web, followed by email enquiry.

In fairness, the reason I wnent to the shop was the quality of the offer on line. They do have superb offers on top end equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Haven't been but jaysus my mate got an extraordinary deal there a couple of years back on a trek madone 6.9. Like usually a 6000 dollar bike, they had one left in the previous year's colour, in his size, and he got it for something mental like 2500 dollars.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

Beware though that the bargain won't be such a bargain if you get caught by customs bringing the bike back into Ireland. A guy I know in Midleton CC had his new bike impounded on returning from the States and has just shelled out a whopping €2,000 in import duty to get it released!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brainstorm

Agreed with many points..

Its not the biggest shop in the world, but they do pack a lot of stuff into the place. Went there a few years back, looks like three rooms inside, with gaps where you'd put a door.

You can get great deals there, and if you fedex/ UPS something back then they will charge you the duty before releasing it. If you're over there and buying, i would consider bringing it back with you (depending on your airline). It would be a hassle getting a bike to JFK from there, but might save some money against transporting it with fedex. You'll have to pay the import duty regardless!

Advertisement