Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bike with the Bike/Cycle to Work Scheme?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey all

Just hoping to purchase a bike through this scheme. I already have a Giant Defy 4 2010 model, and am hoping to upgrade. I dont plan on purchasing any acesssories, so want to spend up to the limit on the actual bike

A few of the options that iv been given so far in the local shop...

TREK 1.2 .... link here

TREK 1.5 ...... link here

GIANT DEFY 2 - link here

From what i can see myself, the Trek 1.5 is better value for money for what you get, anyone have any comments?

HERE IS A COMPARISON
    Also, anyone interested in my Defy 4. Its a medium frame. I'l upload photos if anyone is interested

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Honestly you're not going to see an enormous difference between a Defy 4 and a Defy 2 (or the 2 treks). I would get another type of bike altogether; MTB, Fixie, Touring etc.. or wait a bit longer and make a big upgrade. You can only use the scheme once every 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I wouldn't go for the treks for the simple reason that it says "Like Lance's Bike, in aluminum"

I didn't know Lance used a Sora/Tiagra mix, but there you have it.

Have you considered a Boardman Team Carbon from Halfords? It may be stretching your budget (it's €200 more than the Defy), but I would say it is better value than the ones linked to above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Pick me!. I bought an mtb from them through the BTW scheme. It comes in at very slightly over your budget when you take off the German VAT at 19% and add the Irish VAT at 21%. Shipping and packaging is about €50. Should be a lot nicer than the bikes which you've linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Have you considered upgrading your current bike.

Ultegra Group Set €500
    Decent wheels €400
    Good Saddle €100

Probably knock over 2 kilos off your current setup. You might even flog on the second hand components afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Ky Abu wrote: »
    Hey all

Just hoping to purchase a bike through this scheme. I already have a Giant Defy 4 2010 model, and am hoping to upgrade. I dont plan on purchasing any acesssories, so want to spend up to the limit on the actual bike

A few of the options that iv been given so far in the local shop...

TREK 1.2 .... link here

TREK 1.5 ...... link here

GIANT DEFY 2 - link here

From what i can see myself, the Trek 1.5 is better value for money for what you get, anyone have any comments?

HERE IS A COMPARISON
    Also, anyone interested in my Defy 4. Its a medium frame. I'l upload photos if anyone is interested

Hi,

I have done a fair bit of homework on this one. If I was you, id go with the Felt Z85, it's €1,000 and comes with shimano 105 too.
    http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/Z-Series/Z85.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Another option, http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2105

Just got it myself, very nice bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Like some of the other posters say, I can see very little point in upgrading from a Defy 4 to 2 or to similar specs! You would be better off selling your Defy 4 and putting the proceeds on top of the BTW scheme or if that doesn't work for you financially now hanging on until it does. Personally, unless you have a real thing for aluminium, I'd be looking at a carbon frame at a minimum!

RPL1 wrote: »
    Like some of the other posters say, I can see very little point in upgrading from a Defy 4 to 2 or to similar specs! You would be better off selling your Defy 4 and putting the proceeds on top of the BTW scheme or if that doesn't work for you financially now hanging on until it does. Personally, unless you have a real thing for aluminium, I'd be looking at a carbon frame at a minimum!

yep, if he could stretch the budget to about 1450, he could get the Felt z6, full carbon fibre frame and shimano 105.

http://bikereviews.com/road-bikes/felt/2011-felt/felt-z6-2011-road-bike/

okane1 wrote: »
    Another option, http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2105

Just got it myself, very nice bike.

indeed, very nice. Can this only be bought via mail order? If so, did you have any problems getting it through the bike to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

cojomo2 wrote: »
    indeed, very nice. Can this only be bought via mail order? If so, did you have any problems getting it through the bike to work?

Yep, you buy direct from the manufacture. The company I work for are not partaking in the BTW scheme, so unsure if you can avail with this manufacture. However, I think there are no restrictions on where you must buy from, maybe some1 else can clarify or speak to your company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Wheelworx in the Fonthill Ind estate sell the Felt range if you want to go in and see them first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

macnab wrote: »
    Have you considered upgrading your current bike.

Ultegra Group Set €500
    Decent wheels €400
    Good Saddle €100

Probably knock over 2 kilos off your current setup. You might even flog on the second hand components afterwards.

Spending a grand on upgrading a Giant Defy 4? Why would you spend the bones of 1500 euro on a Defy? He can't even benefit from the cycle to work scheme this way.

Keep the defy as a winter hack or commuter, take your cycle to work and start saving for something a little more special. And by special, I don't mean entry level aluminium bikes from big manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Spending a grand on upgrading a Giant Defy 4? Why would you spend the bones of 1500 euro on a Defy? He can't even benefit from the cycle to work scheme this way.

Keep the defy as a winter hack or commuter, take your cycle to work and start saving for something a little more special. And by special, I don't mean entry level aluminium bikes from big manufacturers.
    +1, i have a defy 4 and considered all the options. upgrading bit by bit makes no sense as buying wheels and groupsets works out more expensive than buying a new bike.

Just buy a fancy carbon bike it makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Definitely worth pushing the boat out and spending even just a few more quid. Gets you out of the standard "bike-to-work-scheme-special" bracket.

Get something with a ten speed block at the back anyway - so 105 or ultegra

Neighbour of mine bought this bike:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=31838

It's really smashing and the spec is great for the price - full new ultegra 6700 on it, good tires, nice finishing kit.

A significant step up as well from the other bikes you're looking at.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    As I stated in my post above I bought a Canyon through the BTW scheme. If your employer allows it then it's fine to go ahead with it. Canyon bikes can only be bought new directly from Canyon.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Just a suggestion, I thought it was worth considering. He would actually be able to benefit from the scheme this way, as long as the money is spent on cycling gear. So the €1000's worth of gear would stand him €510 of his own cash.

Just a suggestion, I thought it was worth considering. He would actually be able to benefit from the scheme this way, as long as the money is spent on cycling gear. So the €1000's worth of gear would stand him €510 of his own cash.
    No, you have to buy a full bike plus cycling gear.

As petethedrummer pointed out that's not how the scheme works and you're also assuming that the OP is in the top tax bracket. The amount that the OP would effectively have to pay would depend on their earnings.

I know of lads who have bought wheels only on the scheme, I have heard a lot worse believe me!! My workplace issued me with a cheque made out to the bike shop, I could have bought anything I liked in the shop if I was that way inclined. Having said that I would not have any qualms about spending the cheque on bike related gear as long as I was using it myself, I believe that to be within the spirit of the scheme.
    In my case I bought a bike for 770 and spent the rest on gear, who is to say you couldnt spend 100 on a bike and 900 on gear?

But back on topic, I think if I was the OP I would sell the current bike and add the proceeds to the funds and buy a Canyon bike with a carbon frame and Ultegra components. But hey its only another suggestion and I would advise him to consider as many as he can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I know of lads who have bought wheels only on the scheme, I have heard a lot worse believe me!! My workplace issued me with a cheque made out to the bike shop, I could have bought anything I liked in the shop if I was that way inclined. Having said that I would not have any qualms about spending the cheque on bike related gear as long as I was using it myself, I believe that to be within the spirit of the scheme.
    In my case I bought a bike for 770 and spent the rest on gear, who is to say you couldnt spend 100 on a bike and 900 on gear?

But back on topic, I think if I was the OP I would sell the current bike and add the proceeds to the funds and buy a Canyon bike with a carbon frame and Ultegra components. But hey its only another suggestion and I would advise him to consider as many as he can think of.

I don't know what you mean by "spirit of the scheme". Revenue are quite detailed about the implementation of the scheme to employers. Bikes and "safety gear" are covered, examples of which include:
    The following safety equipment will be covered by the exemption:
    • Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
    • Bells and bulb horns
    • Lights, including dynamo packs
    • Mirrors and mudguards to ensure riders visibility is not impaired
    • Cycle clips and dress guards
    • Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely
    carried
    • Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
    • Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to
    allow for minor repairs
    • Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke
    reflectors

Doesn't say much about wheels and groupsets in there, sorry.

• Advertisement

The following safety equipment will be covered by the exemption:
    • Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
    • Bells and bulb horns
    • Lights, including dynamo packs
    • Mirrors and mudguards to ensure riders visibility is not impaired
    • Cycle clips and dress guards
    • Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely
    carried
    • Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
    • Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to
    allow for minor repairs
    • Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke
    reflectors

I better bring my shoes back to the shop so :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

hey all..

thanks for all the suggestions.. Another few things to add into the equation is the fact im cycling at the moment to get fitter, not exactly sleak and streamlined. im cycling a lot of poor enough road in south kerry, so maybe im as well off to have something sturdier like an aluminium frame, rather than going fully carbon...

Thanks for all the tips, just have to decide now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

hey all..

thanks for all the suggestions.. Another few things to add into the equation is the fact im cycling at the moment to get fitter, not exactly sleak and streamlined. im cycling a lot of poor enough road in south kerry, so maybe im as well off to have something sturdier like an aluminium frame, rather than going fully carbon...

You joking me??? If Jackie hasn't spending the money on the roads, where the hell has he been salting it away??

He sure as sh1t hasn't been spending it on Kilgarvan,the kip! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Bad roads aren't going to shake a quality frame apart, whether it's alluminium or carbon. Carbon is supposed to be better at absorbing road shock so it might even be better on the rough roads than the alluminium bike.

hey all..

Thanks for all the tips, just have to decide now!
    The Canyon linked in this thread is alu' but has a carbon fork which should make the ride more comfortable. Also, the Askium wheels that come with it are know to be good value and sturdy. If you're looking to fla the btw scheme for the full whack (€1000) then I doubt that you'll get better bang for your buck elsewhere.

so maybe im as well off to have something sturdier like an aluminium frame, rather than going fully carbon...
    You already have an aluminium bike, you don't need another. Take the one you have for a thorough service. It'll feel like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭nhg

Anyone got any suggestions for a decent bike for a 5'10 man who does a bit of recreational cycling (aprox 4miles 3 or 4 times a week). At present uses a supervalu special which is about 4/5 years old and can get a new bike on the cycle-to-work-scheme.

Preferably not too many gears.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

nhg wrote: »
    Anyone got any suggestions for a decent bike for a 5'10 man who does a bit of recreational cycling (aprox 4miles 3 or 4 times a week). At present uses a supervalu special which is about 4/5 years old and can get a new bike on the cycle-to-work-scheme.

Preferably not too many gears.

Thank you.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETVERSA/on-one-pompetamine-versa

Advertisement