Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dewclaw on new-born pup

Options
  • 24-01-2011 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

as some of you may know, nelly gave birth to 7 beautiful pups last night, all healthy and happy!

the dewclaw on the hind legs on just one of the pups is very prominant and we're worried it may cause him problems down the line.

internet searches have thrown up debates on the removal of the claw and I'm just wondering what you guys think?
    Is it cruel or is it a good thing if it is so big that it will almost certainly lead to an injury or problems in later life?

It is recommended that it be done in the first few days of a pups life for minimal discomfort but is it neccessary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I've seen hind dew claws regularly removed during a neutering op. The dew claws that have very little structure to them but are flopping around can get caught and torn especially in active dogs and it might be worthwhile talking to a vet down the line and getting it done as part of a neuter op. The dogs I've seen that have had it done haven't even noticed and don't seem to suffer afterwards, one stitch and that's it. So IMO it's not cruel

Not sure I'd consider giving a newborn pup GA just for the sake of dew claws, but definitely wouldn't consider it without an anaesthetic

Many congrats on the babies by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

If I get a dog in with very prominant/wobbly dew claws then I have them removed during neuter/spay. Never caused any trouble and they are under GA so don't feel a thing :).

Advertisement