Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Short term car insurance

Options
  • 23-01-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I was wondering if anybody knew about a short term car insurance policy available. By short term I mean like just a week r so.

I'm not insured at the moment cause I don't need a car. But I was just thinking of using my parents' car for a week r so just to go on a short holiday. The car is insured with Aviva now, but I'm not on the policy.

Anybody know if I'm able to do this r something similar? Would b a great help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Weve done this with AIG Ireland.
    2 cars in the family, 1 is not in use and couple times i used it, we got it insured for a week under the main policy io the first car i think. We didnt get any disc or separated policy for tha second car ... Think we paid around 38 eur for the week for a really small engined car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SeanCF1

MarkoC wrote: »
    Weve done this with AIG Ireland.
    2 cars in the family, 1 is not in use and couple times i used it, we got it insured for a week under the main policy io the first car i think. We didnt get any disc or separated policy for tha second car ... Think we paid around 38 eur for the week for a really small engined car.

Thanks for the info! Sounds really good, €38 is really cheap, I was expecting more. Although it sounds like it just fits ur policy. The car is a 1.3 r 1.5. But we don't have a second car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

SeanCF1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! Sounds really good, €38 is really cheap, I was expecting more.

I would have thought that on the face of it €38 for one week is pricey enough on a small car. That works out at almost €2k per annum. But then again it obviously depends on Marcko's particlar personal circumstances and there may be an adminstrative cost charged also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SeanCF1

I would have thought that on the face of it €38 for one week is pricey enough on a small car. That works out at almost €2k per annum. But then again it obviously depends on Marcko's particlar personal circumstances and there may be an adminstrative cost charged also.

Yeah true, but it's always gonna b much cheaper (per week) to get an anual cover, as a massive incentive to buy large. I'd b going with friends so we'd split the cost so it's still much cheaper than bus r train for all

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My dad added me to his 1.6L Nissan Primeira for 2 weeks for just over €60, can't remember the insurance company though (although Aviva definitely allow you to do this as well). €60 isn't bad considering I'm an 18 year old male, full licence (statistically a murderer :o).

Strangely Aviva charged just shy of €50 a few weeks ago to add me for a week. Having passed their Ignition Driving Assessment made no difference :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Definitely worth checking the cost of getting added to your parent's policy, either permanently or just for a week or two.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Aviva definitely do not do short insurance policies.

Someone could always take out a policy,then cancel it within 14 days,making sure you are aware of all the cancellation fees or admin fees.

Advertisement