Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripe poems for the reasonable soul

Options
  • 23-01-2011 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I caught the earth in the palm of my hand
    On the day I wanted to steal the moon
    I felt it there, moist like a damp sponge
    Germinating fantastic clouds of steam
    That sought to populate the universe

But, It was not the earth that I craved
    It was the old deserted moon
    That floated in space, I wanted.
    And to steal the moon would have been my peace
    But I caught the earth, instead of a blank canvas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Hey all2most great to see a poetry post. I liked the beginning of it, but i didn't like the line 'that sought to populate the universe.' When I read the poem aloud the line sounded a little untidy... the metre didn't work. Perhaps the line needs rearranging. It leads in strong, with gusto, but that line-- for me-- took away from it. Plus I can't get my head around what it could mean.

The second verse again leads well, but again the last line for me was a let down. I liked how it begun in both verses, but when i read the last line i was hoping for some clarity each time, but i found myself more confused. The last line has me completley confused. Maybe the canvas word is aptly placed, or hints at something. But the criticism I have is that I wasn't involved in the peom to ponder over the potential meaning. And that may mean that you need to engage the reader (only me at this time).

I don't want to be solely negative, I guess I just didn't get the poem. It seemed too vague to understand. I know you are using imagery and it has some power, but i didn't get any meaning at all from the poem. I know, too, that it's your poem, and it clearly has a deep meaning to you, but I just can't get it. And i do think getting it is important. Writing is communication.

The poem does read well, i must say. It has a nice cadence to it. But again there are a few lines that don't really sit well within the overall structure. If you read it aloud to yourself, listening to the rhythym, i think it's easier to spot than reading in your head.

I should say that poetry isn't my favourite thing, and I am not trying to be mean or callous or unfair, I just felt that what I wrote was my honest reaction to it. Because I never engaged with it i never had the chance to give it enough time to have a meaning to me. I am also aware that it takes courage for anyone to put stuff up for public scrutiny. I also know being an adult male how hard it is for adults to take criticism, compared to younger children who readily accept it.

I eagerly await your response, perhaps if you tell me what you were going for I could have a eureka moment and see whare you were coming from.

JACK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 all2most

Hey all2most great to see a poetry post. I liked the beginning of it, but i didn't like the line 'that sought to populate the universe.' When I read the poem aloud the line sounded a little untidy... the metre didn't work. Perhaps the line needs rearranging. It leads in strong, with gusto, but that line-- for me-- took away from it. Plus I can't get my head around what it could mean.

The second verse again leads well, but again the last line for me was a let down. I liked how it begun in both verses, but when i read the last line i was hoping for some clarity each time, but i found myself more confused. The last line has me completley confused. Maybe the canvas word is aptly placed, or hints at something. But the criticism I have is that I wasn't involved in the peom to ponder over the potential meaning. And that may mean that you need to engage the reader (only me at this time).

I don't want to be solely negative, I guess I just didn't get the poem. It seemed too vague to understand. I know you are using imagery and it has some power, but i didn't get any meaning at all from the poem. I know, too, that it's your poem, and it clearly has a deep meaning to you, but I just can't get it. And i do think getting it is important. Writing is communication.

The poem does read well, i must say. It has a nice cadence to it. But again there are a few lines that don't really sit well within the overall structure. If you read it aloud to yourself, listening to the rhythym, i think it's easier to spot than reading in your head.

I should say that poetry isn't my favourite thing, and I am not trying to be mean or callous or unfair, I just felt that what I wrote was my honest reaction to it. Because I never engaged with it i never had the chance to give it enough time to have a meaning to me. I am also aware that it takes courage for anyone to put stuff up for public scrutiny. I also know being an adult male how hard it is for adults to take criticism, compared to younger children who readily accept it.

I eagerly await your response, perhaps if you tell me what you were going for I could have a eureka moment and see whare you were coming from.

JACK

Hey there

First of all, Thanks for your reply. It's nice when you receive a well thought out objective critique your poetry, don't ya think?
    I'm glad that you have questions and you are interested, and I agree that the second verse could have been structured a little better.
    I love to write, especially short poems and lyrics for my songs, anyway here it is, the best way I can explain.
    The poem is about being born into preconceived notions about the world we live in. If you read it back you may just have a new canvas for your ideas about the poem. Thanks again. Hopefully talk again soon.:)

Advertisement