Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hybrid bikes?

Options
  • 23-01-2011 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Thinking of buying a hybrid bike for cycle to work scheme. I'm thinking of either trek 7.3x or the Felt qx85. What do you think? Roads aren't great i.e. potholes etc but I was also thinking of doing a triathalon. Really liked the trek 7.3x but just wondering if it will cope with the bad roads! Would the Felt be a better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

bought a felt qx75 recently, would recommend it, had owned treks and giants previously. comfy ride and speedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think doing a triathlon on a hybrid is bad.

It's a race. Buy a racing bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Unless you're actually riding on dirt tracks with grass down the middle most of the time then don't worry to much about "the state of the roads" as regards which bike to buy. No decent bike is going to shake itself apart over a few potholes (you might want to fit larger than stock tyres to stop yourself being shaken apart though).
    A hybrid is not going to do you any favours in a triathalon. Get a road bike, or even a cyclocross bike with slick tyres (good for commuting, sturdy and comfortable but won't be as fast as a proper road racer when you're doing your triathalons).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

beanz3 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a hybrid bike for cycle to work scheme. I'm thinking of either trek 7.3x or the Felt qx85. What do you think? Roads aren't great i.e. potholes etc but I was also thinking of doing a triathalon. Really liked the trek 7.3x but just wondering if it will cope with the bad roads! Would the Felt be a better option?

I have a Trek 7.3 FX myself and am very happy with it. I often do 50 mile cycles on it and it has coped very well with over 1500 miles in 15 months. For cycling to work, I'd say go for it, but if you are doing a triatlon, I wouldn't be so sure and would maybe agree with one of the comments above concerning a cyclocross bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Road bike, road bike, road bike. They are appropriately named.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I just got a Giant Rapid 2 (2010) on the bike to work scheme. Its effectively a road bike with flat bars. I tried a couple of Road bikes and couldn't get used to the riding position/gears. Probably just needed practice though.

But anyway, the Rapid or similar is a good compromise if you don't intend on doing long spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

I'd recommend considering a Scott Sportster if you have the budget but you would have to get it in the North or from the UK mainland. I have one in Italy for cycling on on roads through the mountains. Super bike IMHO. In Ireland I have LaPierre 'sitandgo' hybrid from CycleSuperStore in Tallaght. Great on country roads especially post snow where the surface has come adrift. Oddly, I had to go up a frame size on the LaPieere versus the Scott to get comfort but no complaints. Very satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

You shouldn't be put off a road bike becuase of the condition of roads. I commute with a road bike fitted with continental four seasons 25mm tyres & haven't found any probs coping with broken roads. That said you would always need to watch in front for any potholes that would throw you regardless of the type of bike your on.

Road bikes can generally handle rougher roads than their riders can. Unless you're actually doing proper off road cycling a road bike can take anything you throw at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

Have a Giant Rapid 3 and cycle on dodgy roads (aren't they all these days) and have no problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

I did about 5000 km on my trek 7.5 fx last year, sometimes on very bad roads. so far no issues. Trek bikes are really damage proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Any well built bike which is ridden and maintained correctly will last the pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 beanz3

Well I'm going to go with the 7.3fx trek! I can borrow a race bike for the triathalon so more interested in a bike that will get me to and from work! :-) Thanks everyone for the advise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

beanz3 wrote: »
    Well I'm going to go with the 7.3fx trek! I can borrow a race bike for the triathalon so more interested in a bike that will get me to and from work! :-) Thanks everyone for the advise!

... and best of luck with your purchase!

Advertisement