Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend some good books please ladies!!

Options
  • 23-01-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

I love reading- I find it a great way to switch off from real life, I love Marian Keyes, Patricia Scanlon, Alexandra Potter, Melissa Hill (though was very disappointed with her last few books!)

Anyway can anyone recommend some authors with similar style (nothing too heavy!) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

anything with legs on the cover is a good place to start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I found the Steig Larsson trilogy very good -

The girl with the dragon tattoo
    The girl who played with fire
    The girl that kicked the hornets nest

Also, the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books are good for a laugh

Enjoying reading the Dickens books recently, the local library even ordered in 3 they didn't have for me (and everyone else)!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Hi OP,

I like similar authors to yourself, have you ever read any of Sinead Moriarty books? They're very funny, have serious enough storylines underneath but definitely worth a read.

Also, Sophie Kinsella? Another good author (though I wasn't mad on her last book), don't have-to-think-too-hard books! She has a series of books under Shopaholic. Confessions of a shopaholic film was adapted from her books. She also writes under the name of Madelein Wickham but I've never read any of those particular books.

If I think of any more authors or books I'll post them.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ruahead

Philippa Gregory is amazing, I ve read all her books !!
    Try them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Anything by Jodi Picoult is good I have read a good few of her books and was never disappointed. She wrote My Sister's Keeper and the book is so much better than the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Anything by Jodi Picoult is good I have read a good few of her books and was never disappointed. She wrote My Sister's Keeper and the book is so much better than the movie.

I read my sister's keeper and the pact, really enjoyed both but have tried a few more of hers and never got past the first few pages! will have a long list for my next trip to the library, would be broke if I considered getting all the suggestions on amazon!! Keep them coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

intouch44 wrote: »
    I love reading- I find it a great way to switch off from real life, I love Marian Keyes, Patricia Scanlon, Alexandra Potter, Melissa Hill (though was very disappointed with her last few books!)

Anyway can anyone recommend some authors with similar style (nothing too heavy!) :)

Sheila O'Flanagan is good for those kind of books :)

Also a Jodi Picolt fan, have loved most of her books (though theres been 1 or 2 that ive found impossible & have given up after a chapter or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭nonsmoker

Lesley Pearse is very good, best book I ever read was one by her 'Father Unknown'
    Have read most of her stuff, love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Russel Brand's "My Booky Wook" and "Booky Wook 2" are good if you like biographies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

I read 'One Day' by David Nicholls recently, it was very good, you might enjoy it. It's about a man and woman who are friends in college and the book follows their lives over 20 years and each chapter is set on the same day but in a different year.

I generally prefer murder mysteries/crime novels so I haven't read a lot of books by the authors you have mentioned but my mother loves 'chick-lit'/light books including some of the authors you've mentioned and some of her other favourite authors are Jill Mansell, Nora Roberts, Sandra Brown and Tilly Bagshawe so maybe try something by one of them.

Also have a look in the Literature forum, you might get some ideas there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Rosiedcat

The Kite Runner and a Thousand Splendid Suns are fantastic best books I've read in years. Also Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets nest, you won't be able to put them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

hi,

i would read most of the books above, would recommend Sister by Rosamund Lupton and The Help by Kathryn Stockett, read them both recently and really enjoyed them.
    nothing heavy in either of them

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

Rosiedcat wrote: »
    The Kite Runner and a Thousand Splendid Suns are fantastic best books I've read in years. Also Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets nest, you won't be able to put them down.

I have to agree, I've read all the books you mentioned above, I absolutely love The Kiterunner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, the Stieg Larsonn books are really good too but the reason I didn't mention any of them was that the OP said she was looking for something lightweight, I don't think I'd describe any of the books above as a 'light read'....

OP if you are open to trying another type of book I would highly recommend the books above as well especially The Kiterunner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

The Help - also excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The "Thursday Next, Literary Detective" series by Jasper Fforde are really good.

If you're into fantasy, check out Fiona Mackintosh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Jill Mansell is a good author based on your tastes. If you like light easy reading, stay away from the Millennium Trilogy (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo etc). They've very dark and heavy. You'd also probably like Cecelia Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Jill Mansell, Sinead Moriarty, Sophie Kinsella, and one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Monica McInerney (The Alphabet Sisters, and maybe just 3 more novels, all enjoyable humorous reads).
    I tend to approach Cecelia Ahern in cycles : read 2, take a break for a while, then another 2... You'd want to be in the mood for it ! But I recently read The Book of Tomorrows, and really enjoyed it. The "magical" side to it is not overpowering, and is easy to accept.

Love C.Dickens too, have seen it mentioned above, and I think the literary studies have somehow spoiled his work ! Bleak House, Martin Chuzzlewit, Nicholas Nickleby, etc... they're easy to read really, and very entertaining. Each chapter is like a new episode of a soap, with fun and tearful passages.
    Elizabeth Gaskell is another classic author with easy to read entertaining novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Claudia Carroll and Emily Barr - both great! In the style of Marian Keyes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Miss_Ellie

'An American Wife' by Curtis Sittenfeld is totally brilliant and un-put-down-able.

Also 'Room' by Emma Donoghue.

Again, these may not be very light books....but are well worth reading.

For light I always enjoy getting stuck into a Jilly Cooper novel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I just read the time traveller's wife on saturday, really enjoyed it.
    Reading catch-22 at the moment, pretty funny but not quite marian keyes style...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP, you might like A Woman Of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford. Old book - a lot of our mothers would have a copy. It's actually a really entertaining rags-to-riches story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

+1 for time travellers wife
    Anything by jodi piccoult
    The Girl in Times Square Paulina Simmons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I read The Help a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Cant remember who its by at the moment but will edit tomorrow.

Also anything by Alenander McCall Smith is brilliant. I love love love the No 1 ladies series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Love C.Dickens too, have seen it mentioned above, and I think the literary studies have somehow spoiled his work ! Bleak House, Martin Chuzzlewit, Nicholas Nickleby, etc... they're easy to read really, and very entertaining. Each chapter is like a new episode of a soap, with fun and tearful passages..

Dickens' stories were the original soaps. They used to be published as chapter-per-week serials...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from the Ladies Lounge...

Requests for book recommendations are better suited here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

Pocketfizz wrote: »

I read "Keeping Faith" by Picoult a few months ago. I Couldn't put it down- just one of those easy to read books. She's a good storyteller. I also enjoyed "Nineteen Minutes".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I read The Help a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Cant remember who its by at the moment but will edit tomorrow.

Also anything by Alenander McCall Smith is brilliant. I love love love the No 1 ladies series.

+1 to Alexander McCall Smith - I read the Isabel Dalhousie series and found them an interesting light read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Dickens' stories were the original soaps. They used to be published as chapter-per-week serials...

I know, and I can well imagine the excitement as they waited for the next publication :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

the Help - Katheryn Stockett

Room - Emma O'Donohue

The Postmistress - Sarah Blake

Tigers Child - Torey Hayden

The Trial - James Patterson

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

If you want a classic, I would recommend Wuthering Heights. It's not as heavy going and 'wordy' as other classics, a brilliant story, with a lot of passion and great characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

Martina Cole, "the know" and "two women" in particular are great reads ;)

Advertisement