Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy, cheap, student-friendly Vegan and Veggie food.

Options
  • 23-01-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

I'm back to college a week now, and I've literally survived off hummus for a solid 7 days. I've actually just eaten hummus with bread/ carrots/crisps/a spoon every day, apart from one pasta with soya butter "meal".
    I made 2 huuuuge batches of hummus, but it's all just about gone at this point and I think it'd be best if I stayed away from it for a while!

I'm not actually a Vegan, but I'm a lactose-intolerent Vegetarian, so generally I eat mostly vegan food.
    I enjoy cooking, but the whole broke-student thing means I usually only have relatively basic ingredients in my apartment. I also have a pretty heavy timetable and study workload at the moment, so free time is a luxury I'd rather not devote fully to cooking!

So, who'd like to help me out with tasty, easy, cheap recipes so I don't turn into a bowl of hummus?

My Mother sent me up a serious amount of dried pulses, so I have lentils, mung beans, split peas, butter beans, chick peas and more aplenty, but no real idea what to make with any of it that won't take all day and require loads of expensive ingredients.
    I cooked a cup of Quinoa and mung beans to use in something earlier, so if anyone has any ideas it'd be really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Flour tortilla wraps! You can fill them with cooked chickpeas or whatever you choose. Oh, or fried onion and carrots. Nyom nyom... I'd recommend getting some rose coco beans (cheaper version of pinto beans) from your nearest asian store and making up a batch of refried beans (soak overnight, then simmer for an hour or longer, until soft, with a chopped onion and about 6 whole garlic cloves). It fills a wrap nicely with whatever you throw in (fried carrots, lettuce, soya yoghurt, hummus, etc) and you can freeze it up in batches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Banjara

You can't go wrong with some hearty veg stews, chillis or curries using those dried pulses. Just make up a big pot which can last you a few days .. it works out v cheap as well and you don't have to be a cordon bleu chef to throw together something v tasty!

If you are anywhere near Supervalu, they have an ongoing offer of three bags of fruit/veg for €4. Also bag of spinach only €2 at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Banjara wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with some hearty veg stews, chillis or curries using those dried pulses. Just make up a big pot which can last you a few days .. it works out v cheap as well and you don't have to be a cordon bleu chef to throw together something v tasty!

This is what I do, I'm also a student with a heavy workload on a budget :p I just buy a load of veggies and pulses at the start of the week and make a big one pot meal... costs <10 euro and I have healthy and tasty food for the next few days :)

Advertisement