Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gear cable help

Options
  • 23-01-2011 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭

hey guys the cable running to my rear derailleur is after getting very frayed at the end of the cable (just after the allen lock on the derailleur) would most local bike shops have these cables in stock or will i have to order in a cable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

every bike shop will have them,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

thats great thanks, just out of interest can a badly fayed cable hamper gearing in anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

eurocycle do ordinary ones for €2 in town, not 100% about their opening hours though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

thats great thanks, just out of interest can a badly fayed cable hamper gearing in anyway?
    Yes, if it's frayed badly you should change it, if it's only starting to fray you should put a crimp on and it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

if i bring this to a bike shop early in the morning should it take long to fix? i need the bike for a spin tuesday so im trying to figure if im better off leaving it due to lack of time or getting it fixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Bike shops should also carry small metal cable ends

19803.jpg

If its possible, try to snip off the frayed bits and then crush the cable end on the end. Might save you the trouble of replacing the cable and having to fine tune

Advertisement