Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veloflex Corsa 22 or Conti Attack & Force or Vittoria Evo Corsa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

The guys on weightweenies swear by the veloflex-however at least one of them recommend that be left to age for up to a year to get the best out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I use the veloflex on clincher racing wheels. They are very close in feel to tubs. Rolling resistance is superb and I haven't had any puncture issues above and beyond what you would expect. Longevity isn't great so they are for racing rather than training. I'd rate them above the vittorias and in most departments except longevity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

General consensus seems to be Veloflex if you are a weight weenie, Vittoria for feel and Continental for durability.

They are all pretty damn good though. The Conti's for example would be the least popular with the fashionista's (and I don't mean the previous poster here) who will tell you all about feel and rolling resistance etc... meanwhile over on Mark Cavendishes bike.....

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/2009/probikes/?id=mark_cavendish_columbia_scott09

Overall, they are all good performers. I must confess that I have not used the Veloflexes but am going to get a pair based on 100suns review there. Love the Vittoria's, my favourite tyre but they do cut up a little easy so I tend to keep Continentals on all of my bikes these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Thank you for your replies.

My current race tyres are the Vittoria Evo Corsa's.

I think the Veloflex's are worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf

check this out...I could be shot for giving info to the enemy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

morana wrote: »
    http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev9.pdf

check this out...I could be shot for giving info to the enemy :)

That's very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

I'm a bit lost as to what to take away from it though. Rollers and Irish roads have very little in common so knowing that a tyre might cost 15w at 50kph on super-smooth rollers doesn't necessarily tell me what it might cost on our dead-as-hell roads - I'm sure some tyres must lose efficiency more precipitously than others as road surfaces get bumpier...

Also, without knowing how much power in total it takes to do 51kph on the rollers I don't know what the percentage loss is between, say, 13w and 15w. 2w per wheel sounds pretty insignificant - smaller that the slightest position change once you introduce drag into the situation.

I'm hoping to smoke out some of the local maths/engineering types to make it all clear here.

Anyway, my latex tubes look to be money well spent. The ultremos (on the third page), less so. Also, tubs aren't automatically faster, which is a relief.

But none of this really matters, right? Only to triathletes or elite time-triallers who compete in a world of fractions of a second. Yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

yea I take your point but you need to be able to reproduce conditions to make a decent comparison so rollers fit the bill in that regard. but I suppose when you are on a decent bit of tarmac the 2 w will com into play. if you are in a sprint it can be very close so I expect over 200m 2watts could be critical. Again you have to balance that against the cost of the tyre.

Its important that the gluing process is vital when putting on tubs. I use tape myself but couldnt find any figures for taped on tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Obviously you'd choose tubs over clinchers in a race because they're safer, but I've never really understood the tradeoff between efficiency and puncture protection, having seen the amount of pain the pros go through in order to get back on after a puncture.

Very good value at that price.

BTW what type of wheels are you outing them on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

100Suns wrote: »
    Very good value at that price.

BTW what type of wheels are you outing them on?

Cosmic Carbon or Fulcrum Zero

Nice

The reason I ask is that they have to be hand mounted. I've used them on Campag Neutrons and they are murder to get on to those particualr wheels. If you puncture and are out the back they are not the tyres you want to be remounting if you have any thoughts of catching back on.

Advertisement