Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the BCFE prospectus lie?

Options
  • 22-01-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey, Clare here from the BCFE Bulletin. Journalism students at BCFE felt let down when we had to lobby and pay for shorthand classes, even though it was on the prospectus. Are there any elements of your course which are listed in the prospectus but not covered? We're hoping to cover it in the news section so please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Music Production had everything the prospectus said.

Though, was the reason for dropping the shorthand due to money?
    A prospectus printed months beforehand must be open to becoming out of date when budgets and as a result staff can drastically change.

Will the angle for the article be focused on BCFE failing students or the department having to cut money due to Government cutbacks?

A prospectus that lies is really a daft notion. It is not in the colleges best interests up openly publish misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Clareh123

As far as I know it was an optional module up to a few years ago, and then dropped altogether because not enough students were going to it.

When we went on placement we saw that it's essential for journalists to have shorthand. So we asked why it wasn't covered and were told there wasn't enough money. We managed to get a class after some lobbying, but had to partly pay for it.

We felt we when we took up the course, we were led to believe such an integral aspect of journalism was covered and it wasn't. I think it's a few years since it was on the course and I inquired why it was still put on the prospectus ever year but got no real answer. Despite all this, shorthand is listed on the 2011 prospectus

We don't want to publish a self serving article about the journalism course but we heard rumors of inaccurate information on other courses so thought we'd do a story if there was any substance to those.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Clareh123

Oh, I'm not implying the college is intentionally deceiving students, just that perhaps not enough care is taken to ensure the info is up to date. One little word could be a deciding factor for a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Clareh123 wrote: »
    As far as I know it was an optional module up to a few years ago, and then dropped altogether because not enough students were going to it.

When we went on placement we saw that it's essential for journalists to have shorthand. So we asked why it wasn't covered and were told there wasn't enough money. We managed to get a class after some lobbying, but had to partly pay for it.

We felt we when we took up the course, we were led to believe such an integral aspect of journalism was covered and it wasn't. I think it's a few years since it was on the course and I inquired why it was still put on the prospectus ever year but got no real answer. Despite all this, shorthand is listed on the 2011 prospectus

We don't want to publish a self serving article about the journalism course but we heard rumors of inaccurate information on other courses so thought we'd do a story if there was any substance to those.

Interesting, by all means if it has been dropped years beforehand and still on the prospectus there is a problem there. I was thinking it was this year that it had been dropped due to budget cuts. No way they could do anything about that but a few years is a different story.

Best 'o' luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Clareh123 wrote: »
    Hey, Clare here from the BCFE Bulletin. Journalism students at BCFE felt let down when we had to lobby and pay for shorthand classes, even though it was on the prospectus. Are there any elements of your course which are listed in the prospectus but not covered? We're hoping to cover it in the news section so please let me know!

In the event that the college brochure was misleading I would encourage you to make a formal written complaint to CDVEC Head Office for the attention of the Chief Executive Officer, Ms Jacinta Stewart.

You have nothing to lose - go for it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement