Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Limerick city council know that Christmas is over?

Options
  • 22-01-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

I just came back from the Munster Match and low and behold the Christmas Tree is still in the River Shannon lit up.
    It is ridiculous that Business all over the country starting Christmas months earlier but the City Council dragging the arse out it when it is clearly over by two weeks+ is another thing. At Least they could kill the lights and save money and be seen to save money until they are ready to pull it out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

limklad wrote: »
    I just came back from the Munster Match and low and behold the Christmas Tree is still in the River Shannon lit up.
    It is ridiculous that Business all over the country starting Christmas months earlier but the City Council dragging the arse out it when it is clearly over by two weeks+ is another thing. At Least they could kill the lights and save money and be seen to save money until they are ready to pull it out.

I saw it last week and was laughing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Wasn't it still in the water as late as March last year?

I secretly like it though. I think it brightens up the place. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

Wasn't it still in the water as late as March last year?

I secretly like it though. I think it brightens up the place. :o
    That's now our Easter tree (it was definitely there on Paddy's day, may even have made it to Easter last year:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah I was in the glasshouse on Friday night and was looking out the window and had to say to my girlfriend if I was seeing things...there it was all lit up. Craziness

Would be nice if they came up with some other idea of illuminating the river though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

You don't have much to be worrying about OP :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Its bad luck to keep a tree up after 6th jan, limerick must not need any luck :) lots of lights not working on it too.

Just shows how limerick city council are useless that they can't even arrange to take down a christmas tree.

They only took down the other tree outside cruises street last week. 2 weeks too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

CiaranMT wrote: »
    You don't have much to be worrying about OP :P
    It is one thing having the Christmas Tree in place until their staff have time to remove it from the river, but keeping on the lights at night is costing Limerick City money, who are in turn cribbing about lack of funds from a very high rates on Business.
    Every small bit counts which adds up when saving money. They are not leading by example but instead are seen to be wasting money. The Celtic Tiger is well and truly killed. We cannot afford to waste money Like Limerick City Council is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm not sure if its still on the tree but the tree used to make its own power by using a wind turbine on its top. It was an Eco tree and was built form old steel from the Thomand park demolition.

So it wouldn't be costing anything if anything the cost involved in getting a boat and a few guys out there to remove it is prob quite pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Its miserable looking with some lights not working..although i think its a bit sad looking at the best of times.

If they can't make sure the lights are off they should just take it down asap.

Advertisement