Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Fireplace

Options
  • 22-01-2011 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm renovating an old fireplace and the back of the fire (at the sides) is made up of nly very old and lose sand. I know it needs to be repacked to stop ash getting to where it shouldn't and also to stop the fire back from cracking. Does anyone know what I should do? Should I add sand and re-pack the sides and finish with a sand and cement top to stop ash getting mixed in with sand. If so should I use fire cement or is an ordinary sand and cement mix ok? Sorry for going on but this is my first post on Boards! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

As far as i can remember the back fill mix, is made up of lime and sand and not cement..... I would also most likely think that this would then be sealed off with a bed of fire cement... hope the information helps, I had to do this my self 7 yrs ago and not a problem since...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Craglea

Thanks Kirby42 for your info. I did have an idea in my head that it was a dry mix topped off with a fire cement layer. Cragles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The back of the fire back is the same mix as you should use around the chimney flue

Its important that you use a correct mix.

I use a mix of 12 sand 1 cement 1 lime. Its a "drymix", essentially it needs to go in damp, when you pick the mix up in your hand make a fist of it and it should stay in a ball.

If the mix is too strong, when the flue or the fire back cracks it wont allow for expansion and in the chimney the flue will crack the chimney or the Brest / stack. If its too weak, when the flue or fire back cracks, sand will fall down the chimney or out from the fireback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Craglea

Hi Synper
    Thanks for your advice. As a newbee to Boards its really great the people are so genegous with their time and advice.
    Regards
    Craglea

Advertisement