Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone flying FPV

Options
  • 22-01-2011 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

A couple of years ago I picked up an easystar and learned to fly on it.

I fit it with an FPV rig and have been having serious fun ever since.

Is anyone else flying FPV on here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I do a little bit of it, use eagle tree osd pro which is great for it, do you use any on screen display? I dont own the gear myself but set it up for someone else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Not at the moment but soon.
    I decided this would be the year I add FPV to a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

I've fit an EZ OSD onto the plane and flew with it this morning for the first time. It really adds an extra dimension to the experience and makes it easy to nail difficult landings.

The cloud was a bit low this morning (about 150m).

The easy star'll do 50MPH+, which I didn't know it could.

Where do you guys FPV?

Some pics:

We have autopilot return to home setup on the eagle tree system. It takes a bit of getting used to flying out any distance with FPV, but the eagle tree radar icon thing is brilliant for knowing exactly where the glider is compared to your take off position. With autopilot you can test the limits of the radio, the autopilot kicks in when signal is lost, but as soon as the plane starts to turn it picks up the signal again. We use the radian because it is very stable so is great for it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/robbie77300#p/u/4/U0WuhL8oT9w

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    We have autopilot return to home setup on the eagle tree system. It takes a bit of getting used to flying out any distance with FPV, but the eagle tree radar icon thing is brilliant for knowing exactly where the glider is compared to your take off position. With autopilot you can test the limits of the radio, the autopilot kicks in when signal is lost, but as soon as the plane starts to turn it picks up the signal again. We use the radian because it is very stable so is great for it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/robbie77300#p/u/4/U0WuhL8oT9w

Sounds cool.

An autopilot is defo on my to-get list.

Is that a go-pro you're using in the navan snow video?

The nice this about the easystar is that the prop is at the back.

pajo1981 wrote: »
    Sounds cool.

An autopilot is defo on my to-get list.

Is that a go-pro you're using in the navan snow video?

The nice this about the easystar is that the prop is at the back.

Yes its a go pro in that one, it has a scratched lens but they are a great camera for the flying. When its up on the tv with the raw video it looks amazing. Some say the prop at the back is better, i dont know myself really, do you mean for keeping the prop out of the video or away from the ground landing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dude man

Can anyone here tell me what is illegal and what is not in the radios frequency area? i was looking into getting a EZUHF Transmittern and RX but that is illegal in UK and most likely in Ireland too. I am running 5.8ghz at the moment but wanna get into some serious long range fpv any info or links would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

2.4Ghz (10mW) or 5.8Ghz(25mW) is legal here for the video. As regards control it's either 35mhz (very good option with decent gear) or 2.4Ghz (but not workable if you want the same band for video).

Not really long range options, but if you want to stay to the letter of the law, long range isn't legal anyway you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dude man

civdef wrote: »
    2.4Ghz (10mW) or 5.8Ghz(25mW) is legal here for the video. As regards control it's either 35mhz (very good option with decent gear) or 2.4Ghz (but not workable if you want the same band for video).

Not really long range options, but if you want to stay to the letter of the law, long range isn't legal anyway you do it.

Yeah I think that is bull that long range is not legal, if you have the right equipment and experiences it should not be a bother if maybe you had to get certified or something, especially if there is nothing around for miles! I have 2.4 spektrum DX8 transmitter ( i'm thinking of maybe getting 2.4Ghz 7DB Antenna - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20108__2_4Ghz_7DB_Antenna_for_FrSky_Modules_And_compatible_Radios_Modules_.html) for better range...and 5.8 video 600mw TX now and would love to go longer like with EZUHF equipment etc. I do have an old Multiplex Cockpit MM, wonder if that will give me better range than an upgrade antenna for the DX8:confused: Do you fly FPV? Where? What gear are you using?
    What about 1.3gHz?
    Thanks for the reply :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Been messing with FPV for a year or so, I'm currently running a HK Bixler on Frsky 2.4Ghz control with 5.8Ghz video with skew planar antennas. EZOSD currently (replaced the crap GPS on it though) but ground testing Ardupilot Mega 2.5 with a view to using that later in the spring.

Regardless of the legal situation, I'm nowhere near confident enough in my gear or abilities to go further than 2.4Ghz range for the moment. I'm concentrating on reliability and flight time rather than range as my targets - have no desire at all to see the money I've invested in it so far lost miles away with no hope of recovery.

The main places I go for info are fpvlab.com, fpvhub.com, diydrones.com and the FPV section of rcgroups.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

the EZUHF stuff is in the amature radio band so would be illegal to use.

Also theres a few of 5.8Ghz video transmitters that would be illegal too. As mentioned above the max power is 25mw.
    I believe that 1349Mhz is ok for video below 500mw. Though that could be for fixed rather than mobile, not sure.

But to be sure, email comreg, they are pretty helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 99c7076

Hi,

I'm currently using 2.4 for control of a tbs discovery quadcopter and 5.8 for fpv.
    I would love to be able to use the ezuhf system. Can we get a ham radio license to operate on these uhf bands?

Advertisement