Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing/Replacing a Hantarex Power Supply

Options
  • 22-01-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a JAMMA cab with a Hantarex MTC9000 monitor and a Hantarex US250 power supply. The power supply isn't outputting the correct voltages and needs to be repaired/replaced. I'm not too keen on repairing it (power supplies freak me out), so I'll probably replace it.

I can pick up a secondhand one on eBay handy enough but, given the chance that it too will go after time I'm wondering if it wouldn't make more sense just to put something more modern instead like this -

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/15a-switching-power-supply-110w/prod_251.html

Only worry is I'm not sure if it will power the monitor or if I need another power supply for that.

Any comments/ideas welcome.

Thanks.

R.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

remoteboy wrote: »
    Hi,

I've got a JAMMA cab with a Hantarex MTC9000 monitor and a Hantarex US250 power supply. The power supply isn't outputting the correct voltages and needs to be repaired/replaced. I'm not too keen on repairing it (power supplies freak me out), so I'll probably replace it.

I can pick up a secondhand one on eBay handy enough but, given the chance that it too will go after time I'm wondering if it wouldn't make more sense just to put something more modern instead like this -

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/15a-switching-power-supply-110w/prod_251.html

Only worry is I'm not sure if it will power the monitor or if I need another power supply for that.

Any comments/ideas welcome.

Thanks.

R.

When you say it's not outputting the correct voltage, have you checked the readings with a multimeter? If it's a problem with the 5v, they are normally adjustable.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Switcher is the way to go,but if you need a US250 I have spares

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭remoteboy

EnterNow wrote: »
    When you say it's not outputting the correct voltage, have you checked the readings with a multimeter?

Yeah - I'm getting 0.76v where I should be getting 12v and 4.3v where I should be getting 5v. I recently disassembled the cab to move it up two flights of stairs. When I rebuilt it, I powered it with no JAMMA board and no monitor connected and there was a horrible high pitched whine - I think I blew something important. I replaced the fuses but it didn't make any difference.
    Switcher is the way to go,but if you need a US250 I have spares

Hi Mitch, if you're selling a US250 I'd definitely be interested. If I do decide to go down the switcher route in the future, would I need a separate power supply for the monitor or would the switcher handle that too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

remoteboy wrote: »
    Yeah - I'm getting 0.76v where I should be getting 12v and 4.3v where I should be getting 5v. I recently disassembled the cab to move it up two flights of stairs. When I rebuilt it, I powered it with no JAMMA board and no monitor connected and there was a horrible high pitched whine - I think I blew something important. I replaced the fuses but it didn't make any difference.

Hi Mitch, if you're selling a US250 I'd definitely be interested. If I do decide to go down the switcher route in the future, would I need a separate power supply for the monitor or would the switcher handle that too?

Powering without a jamma board shouldn't be an issue (to my knowledge). Is your monitor powered off the PSU or off mains (my one is powered off mains Hantarex Polo 25"). If your monitor is the psu powered type though, the problem could lie there, and simply dropping a new psu in could cause the same thing to happen.

Mitch will have a far better understanding of it than me, but your 5v issue is more an adjustment than a problem I'd imagine. The 12v is a different story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭sundodger5

If it is the original power supply i would check to see if it is putting out the correct voltage to run the monitor. If that is good i would leave it as is and put in a switcher to run the board etc. Cheap fix

• Advertisement

Hi Sundodger - that's not a bad shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

The us 250 usually out puts the jamma voltage and the screen voltage from mains
    ie

240 in (outputs 110 for the screen and 12 volt and 5 volt and - 5volt for the switcher.

So if you bin the US250 you may need a step down transformer to run the screen.

Hantarex9110 chassis needs 110 for power & 220 for degause

hope this helps

Hi Purplec,

Good to know. I think short term I'd do as sundodger suggested and leave the US250 in place to power the screen (seems to be working fine) and just use the switcher to drive the JAMMA side of things.

Best Regards.

R

Advertisement