Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why cant we have these High pressures over us in summer?

Options
  • 22-01-2011 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

We seem to have a lot of high pressure systems that sit over us during the winter months, is there any reason why we dont tend do have simular systems sit over us during the main summer months of june-september?

Weather in the last few years seem to bring good dry sunny spells in late spring and also in Autumn, but summers here always seem damp and miserable!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I know what you mean, the last thing you want in the summer is damp and cloudy.

Its all part of the fun of the weather though I suppose !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

snaps wrote: »
    We seem to have a lot of high pressure systems that sit over us during the winter months, is there any reason why we dont tend do have simular systems sit over us during the main summer months of june-september?

Weather in the last few years seem to bring good dry sunny spells in late spring and also in Autumn, but summers here always seem damp and miserable!

Because God is a cold weather freak! The summer of 2010 was fine in Waterford apart from the temps which were average at best. But yes it would be great to have some persistent high pressure from May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Whats the story with the cloud over Dublin today? Is the high pressure gone? :(

irishdub14 wrote: »

Yeah it's just horrible out isn't it?

Sunny here, its still around and will be for at least 9 days, albeit wandering about a bit. Could drag in some anti-cyclonic gloom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

irishdub14 wrote: »

Yes this is the disadvantage to high pressure, cloud can get sucked in to it and trapped for days... :(

High pressure is still here and will continue to be here for a good while.

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

OP...

You probably have heard the term "Three fine days and a Thunderstorm". That happens because of high pressure delivering alot of heat in summer months, added this to our usually humid atmosphere and bang, off goes the thunderstorms, dragging down pressure hPa levels with them. High pressure in winter tends to hang about longer due to colder air sinking, and less heat about for this cold air to do battle with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

mike65 wrote: »
    Sunny here, its still around and will be for at least 9 days, albeit wandering about a bit. Could drag in some anti-cyclonic gloom.

Have not seen the sun here for 3 days. Constant thick fog, and frost that makes it look like it has snowed. Bitter cold out.

Ah the difference between the coast and inland, here it starts foggy but burns off quickly enough. Borris is in a bit of a bowl as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Buoy 44938 off the northwest coast recorded a pressure of 1046.9hPa at 12:40 today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Su Campu wrote: »
    Buoy 44938 off the northwest coast recorded a pressure of 1046.9hPa at 12:40 today

Hi, can you explain what that means?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Buoy 44938 is the name given to a weather station that is floating in the sea off Donegal.

1046.9hPa is the measurement of pressure. 1013.0hPa is average pressure. Generally Ireland gets pressure between 992.0hPa and 1034.0hPa, so 1046.9hPa is rather high, with the absolute high record of 1057.2hPa being the national record IIRC.

For more... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pressure#Standard_atmospheric_pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I came across this on another site (as I do :D).
    MRK on January 18, 2011, 3:53 PM
    Pressures world wide have dropped considerably in the last two months overall. The why is only speculative. Lots of noise about it.

Is it true and if it keeps up does it leave us with another crappy Summer or worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If only it were August right now, ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Yolande

Are there any long term predictions going on for this summer? - or're the current highs the best we can hope for for the next 9 or 10 months??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

From when I was a small boy, suffering from washed out summer holidays, cancelled shows, cancelled air displays, cancelled circus, cancelled day trips and so on and on and on ~~~

I often wished we could have our winter weather in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

gbee wrote: »
    From when I was a small boy, suffering from washed out summer holidays, cancelled shows, cancelled air displays, cancelled circus, cancelled day trips and so on and on and on ~~~

I often wished we could have our winter weather in the summer.

it sounds like you were a small boy over the last few years!

Generably when people talk of weather in the past it was invariably superior to anything we ever have now. The way some people talk you're swear every winter prior to 1990 had weather like last december. . . :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

it sounds like you were a small boy over the last few years! . . . :P

No but my children would have grown up since 1980 but that pattern was just a repeat.

There might have been an exception for my holidays in Carlow circa 1966, long hot summer days.

The recent snow for me was one of three incidents in my 55 years. If I wanted to see snow I'd need to head to Macroom and climb the mountians [hills] :)

Advertisement