Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying a PGCE in the UK

Options
  • 22-01-2011 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with regards doing a PGCE in design and technology?
    I haven't applied yet, but I'm thinking Edge Hill as its the only one fully registered with the teaching council, possibly Edinburgh second with Bristol third.
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with any of these colleges? Or where is worth a shout?

Also, with regards a government aid. I have been in receipt of a grant in Ireland, and if I further my studies in England, am I still eligible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

WIth regards to grants/financial aids, I know that if you study in England on the PGCE you get a bursary of between 6000-9000 pounds, depending on your subject. I think Design/Technology gets you 6000 pounds.

While Edge Hill is technicallythe only automatically recognised UK teaching course, the other colleges in England have been nearly always recognised, once you go through their qualification assessment. There is a charge for getting your qualifications checked, but I don't know of anyone who hasn't been recognised with a UK qualification, once you meet their criteria.

For example, the course has to be aimed for students who are 11-18 years old. For full recognition, you need to complete your PQE (post qualification employment) which is 300 hours to satisfy the Teaching Council. From 2011 onwards, that PQE has to be done in the country in which you studied your PGCE, so if you study in the UK, you must do your PQE in the UK.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FarAdr

Yeah thanks very much, as I said, I haven't applied just yet, so basically fishing for information to see where best suits that is if I get accepted of course. Edinburgh seems to be another good option, just if anyone has any information on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Choclolate

"For full recognition, you need to complete your PQE (post qualification employment) which is 300 hours to satisfy the Teaching Council"

I thought you must complete a year in the country you qualified in. Are you sure its only 300 hours.

In reality thats only 3-4 months

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FarAdr

From what information I have picked up, I think you have to do another full year in England, this is to gain a second subject. Obviously, relevant qualifications which you have before you start a post grad should aid in having a second subject. I think its just putting it into practice.
    Also, from what I am aware, your chosen college provides you with a school for that second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Choclolate wrote: »

I thought you must complete a year in the country you qualified in. Are you sure its only 300 hours.

In reality thats only 3-4 months

Yes, i've taken this from the TC website:

"Until the Council assumes responsibility in 2012 for induction and probation, the current system of Post Qualification Employment (PQE) continues. PQE is a condition of registration for post-primary teachers. In order to gain full registration as a post-primary teacher, all teachers must complete a period of Post-Qualification Employment (PQE). This involves providing evidence of 300 hours teaching experience in a recognised school which is verified and signed by the school principal. A minimum of 200 hours of the approved teaching experience must relate to teaching of a recognised curricular subject to a class of students (minimum of 14 students). Up to 100 hours of the approved teaching experience may be carried out in a learning support, special needs, language support, or guidance counselling role. A maximum period of three years is permitted to meet this requirement"

• Advertisement
Advertisement