Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in Computer music?

Options
  • 22-01-2011 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hey,
    Im hoping to get a 2.1 and would like to apply for the MA in computer music. Can anyone tell me any info on it? Has anyone done it? I am good on protools and have up to grade 6 on piano and have been playing guitar for like 7 years. Would this be enough to get in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I don't do Comp Music, but I do Composition and I had to do some modules in this...

Your 2:1 is the important bit, almost guarantees you entry so long as your interview is good.

Piano isn't a necessity, it's more about sound synthesis, acoustics, using programs to make music. There are modules on editing though, but I think they're in the second semester.

I might see if i can get aurongroove to post a reply. He's doing the Music Tech HDip, which is the exact same except he doesn't do a special project at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Yeah, get that 2:1.

If you want to thrive in the synthesis and programming modules, you might want to start looking at computer programming now in your spare time.

All of the modules assume little experience, and start from the ground up. you should be fine if you have the 2:1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

Yeah, get that 2:1.

If you want to thrive in the synthesis and programming modules, you might want to start looking at computer programming now in your spare time.

All of the modules assume little experience, and start from the ground up. you should be fine if you have the 2:1.

Yeah im fairly ok on protools and im just about to get a mac so ill be using logic at home so im sure i could always bring in some of my home recordings? Would that help? Thanks for the replies. I didnt know there was a music tech hdip? Does that have the same entry requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

JajaD wrote: »
    Yeah im fairly ok on protools and im just about to get a mac so ill be using logic at home so im sure i could always bring in some of my home recordings? Would that help? Thanks for the replies. I didnt know there was a music tech hdip? Does that have the same entry requirements?

I'm a second year undergrad, I'm also looking around at a lot of postgrad courses in computer music and I've spoken to a guy currently studying for this MA in NUIM.

It's not really about recording and production, but about programming, synthesis, acoustics and psychoacoustics. If you're into programs like ProTools you might have this kind of thinking down, but have a look at things like CSound, SuperCollider, Max/MSP and Pure Data. I think CSound is the biggest deal in this course, the guy I was speaking to about the course was doing a lot of work with it, and the guy in charge of the course, Victor Lazzarini, actually developed a lot of CSound.

It's a very different area of music technology to the studio engineering/recording/production side. Super exciting stuff and really interesting to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

I did this course and found out through out it that it wasnt something i wanted to do. I really wanted to become decent in pro tools and be competent in a studio, but it ended up to be just mainly programing of some sort ie some of the programs listed above. It was more based on the software side of technology more than the hardware end.

It is good for composition and giving an insight into new forms of composition but if your looking for studio use etc, it wouldnt be the best thing. I mean in a world where pro tools is the biggest thing out there, and them not teaching it, dosnt bode well for the technology aspect imo..

• Advertisement

I mean in a world where pro tools is the biggest thing out there, and them not teaching it, dosnt bode well for the technology aspect imo..

It isn't a music tech or sound engineering degree, it's a computer music degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

El Pr0n wrote: »
    It isn't a music tech or sound engineering degree, it's a computer music degree.

They must have changed it now to a computer music masters, when I was doing it a few years back it was called ma in music technology.

They must have changed it now to a computer music masters, when I was doing it a few years back it was called ma in music technology.

Ah, I guess that's the ambiguity then. Sorry dude :)

you're getting a bit to tied up in names

the degree is called BA Music technology
    the Postgraduate diploma is called PG Dip Music Technology
    the Masers is called MA Computer music

but essentially the the PDdip and MA is the same Post grad course except the MA is plus a MA project.

I will also say since there is only one mandatory module, it;s very hard to say the MA/PGdip is "programming based" or "Studio based"

you just pick the modules you wanna do.
    have a look under "Year 1: music technology";
    these modules are the same as those for the MA Computer music.

http://www.nuim.ie/courses/?Target=QS&Mode=VIEW&QUALIFICATION_CODE=HDMT&YEAR=2011&TARGET_SOURCE=QUALIFICATION

you're getting a bit to tied up in names

the degree is called BA Music technology
    the Postgraduate diploma is called PG Dip Music Technology
    the Masers is called MA Computer music

The BA and MA are both 'degrees' though, a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

In fairness though even a music technology degree or postgrad does not really imply that most of your time would be spent recording, mixing etc. even though you would cover it a bit. I'd say Computer Music and Music Tech postgrads differ though.

Music Technology degrees tend to be focused towards the likes of the programming used in the applications mentioned by El Pr0n, acoustics etc.

Anyone wanting to record should look at courses like the one's in the private sound engineering colleges such as Pulse, STC etc (although very expensive) and the new Music Production course starting in DKIT next year.

to redress the balance a little, it;s not JUST programming.

example: I am completing a 60 credit year,
    I've completed these modules(all modules 10 credits):

Acoustics (lectures and Exam)
    Sound recording techniques (Studio)
    Music Systems programming (programming)
    Software Sound synthesis (programming and Exam)

for second semester, I think I might choose

Recording project (studio)
    Electroacoustic Composition (studio or home studio with Listening classes)

If I choose these modules and worked on my Compositions in the studio instead of a home set up, then I would have earned more credits in the studio then either of programming or lecture+exam modules.

I realize this is an ideal state of things in which one chooses all the available studio modules, if you want you can completely avoid studio modules but it's worth pointing out that it's there to be done and that people are doing it.

Advertisement