Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about pedals

Options
  • 21-01-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

This is a seriously newbie questions, but anyway...

I got a bike last week for the commute to work. The pedals always come to rest with the same side facing upwards, and this size has a shaft running across it that makes it uncomfortable to pedal. This means everytime I put my foot on a pedal I have to flick it over with my toe to get the flat side facing upwards.
    This is a bit of a pain - have I got the wrong type of pedals on it or is it something else?

The bike originally had clips on the pedals but I got the guy in the bike shop to take them off (not sure if this is relevant).

Thanks

okedoke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Post a pic. Sounds to me like you might have pedals that are designed to clip into specific cycling shoes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

This is the side of the pedal that always comes to a rest facing upwards (convex shaped)
    pedals003.jpg

this side - faces downwards but is the side I pedal

pedals002.jpg

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Yeah, I'd say it's because the clips were taken off, if they were still on the pedal would sit vertically with the clip hanging down.

New pedals are cheapish, head into your local bike store and they should change them for you too (assuming you buy them there!)

Otherwise, get used to flipping them over with your toe. It will be good practice for when you decide to go with clippy pedals, as several popular brands are one sided

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Nothing wrong with the pedals,

They're just single sided as you could obviously only use them one way with straps attached.

You could go to any bike shop and buy a set of double sided flat pedals for next to nothing or just get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks folks

that's cleared that up.

okedoke

• Advertisement
Advertisement