Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refreshing my French after 8 year gap for Haiti

Options
  • 21-01-2011 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

I am off to Haiti for a two year contract with a NGO. I studied French up to Leaving Cert Higher Level standard and was at a decent level conversational and writing. However, I haven't used it since then.

I am just wondering what books or literature or online material would you recommend to bring my French back up to scratch. I know once I'm over there speaking on a day to day will bring it on but would like a head start.

Thanking you
    Odats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to your NGO and Irish Aid abo getting your French up to date **and** relevant for Haiti - there will be dialect differences.

Alliance Francaise, Kildare Street, Dublin 2 might be useful.

What will you be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Victor wrote: »
    Talk to your NGO and Irish Aid abo getting your French up to date **and** relevant for Haiti - there will be dialect differences.

Alliance Francaise, Kildare Street, Dublin 2 might be useful.

What will you be doing?

My role is predominately English language based for the NGO role and I will be communicating mostly in English. I am working as a financial accountant over there. Just want to brush up on the French basically and I already know about the dialects and Creole etc.
    I think there's an Alliance Francais down my neck of the woods so might contact them.
    Thanks very much.

Advertisement