Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assos Shorts?

Options
  • 21-01-2011 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

So I've been using cheapish shorts the last few months but I'm still not 100% comfortable in that area. I've been thinkin about Assos Shorts but are they really worth purchasing?

Has anyone found better then assos or something of equal comfort for less money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

i am in the same boat. I bought cheapish ( 90 euro ish ) long bibs for the winter, and the padding is separating from the leg parts now.

thinking of investing and wondering the same ...

I have Scott shorts ( paid 120+ for ) and they survived May to date and ready for another season......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I bought cyclesuperstore's "bicycle-line" brand long bib shorts a good few years ago and still have them, they seem like good kit, but (and I've said this before) you really can't beat club gear. Join your local club, and buy their gear at often well-subsidised prices. It's generally top notch kit as well. It's all I wear now. Plus it all matches and looks well. :)

Having said that, if you can afford Assos, I'm sure it's fantastic kit, and you'll never ever regret spending money on good kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

I've been buying Pearl Izumi shorts (and tights) for 4-5 years now. For me, they are at the sweet spot in the cost/benefit evaluation. I've never experienced any significant discomfort even on 200+km days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I have a pair of Giordana silverline bibshorts and they are great value, good chamois, on par with Assos imho although only done 60-70k in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depends on what sort of discomfort you have. If it's actually shorts related, then better shorts might fix it. Otherwise, maybe look at the saddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56385

Seems good value on this make from previous poster.

Lawdie wrote: »
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56385

Seems good value on this make from previous poster.

That is a good price! I wear bib shorts but if I didn't, I'd be jumping at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Assos shorts FTW. I'll never buy another brand again. Pearl Izumi are a close second though. Giordana etc are not as good at around the same price as Pearl Izumi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Have been a big fan of Assos winter jkts, however I hate the shorts. They do not suit my rear.
    Shorts ate something that throwing money at the issue does not necessarily solve the issue.

Fwiw I really dislike the chamois on the basic assos short.

I love Panache and Squadra - 2 US brands.
    Extenedo a basque brand are very good IMO.
    Campag make good shorts.
    I have several DHB bib tights and love them.

As an aside for shorts to be comfortable, they need to by tight without completely constricting.
    Otherwise try lots and decide what you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 speedyspokes

ive tried castelli,nalini,bicycle line,giordana and believe me nothing comes close to assos comfort.you will never buy any other brand after using them.they last along time so great value for money.

• Advertisement

Welcome to boards.ie Brian! So how about a boards.ie discount on Assos shorts? :)

can do pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm another who found only with Assos shorts was I able to get comfort over long distances. Looking back though, I reckon the main cause of the discomfort at that time was probably incorrect saddle position. Assos are definitely worth it for me.

Anyone found a 'good' price for the Assos?

Ordering two now...
    31828.jpg

can do pm me

I'm ok for shorts at the moment - I was just asking out of devilment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 madaboutbikes

just bought some assos gear from primera sports in the uk it look and feel fantastic very expensive but hopefully worth the money in the long run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

114! that would be a good price. where & for what type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest and I know its almost blasphemy on here Asos are extremely over rated and over priced. I got two pairs of shorts (Uno's) for a great deal while over in Switzerland and they just to not sit right anywhere. The padding is great that I'll give them but they just feel awful around the back and shoulders.

I've bought €50 dhb shorts of wiggle that I would rate higher than the Assos shorts. My pinnarello, nalini and dhb shorts come out of the drawer first and only when I've nothing else clean will I go near those assos shorts.

Save you're money, get something less costly as you just will not justify assos gear in my opinion. Or maybe I'm just a funny shape, but I don't think so as almost every other brand that I've tried fits very well. The only assos product I now use is the chamois cream. Thats fantastic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Like many things, you get what you pay for.

Like many things, you have to question whether you need all that you are paying for.

I have always used €50 Nalini team shorts and never found a problem. I stick them in the normal wash, don't use any chamois cream and still never found a problem.

I have ridden W200, Marmotte etc in these shorts and never had a problem. Would having Assos €200 shorts made me feel better? I guess they would (why else would they cost so much) but would that make any noticable difference to my cycling?

I don't think so. I do agree that shorts are perhaps the most most imprtant piece of clothing and should be considered carefully, but I would start with the lower end and only go up if they don't work out. Certainly, if you are doing 2/3 hours rides a few days a week I cannot see the advantage of the assos.

Everybody is different, so obviously some people do require the extra confort etc, but I would try out the cheaper options first

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Would having Assos €200 shorts made me feel better? I guess they would (why else would they cost so much) but would that make any noticable difference to my cycling?

FWIW I prefer the least expensive Assos shorts (Uno). They have less padding, and IMO once you have the saddle choice sorted out you want to minimize padding (for reasons relating to compression of soft tissues, blood flow etc).

Anyway, cheaper would be better. I find club shorts and boards shorts to be fine too, but the DHB chamois shape to be absolutely awful. I suspect that DHBs suit the "sprinter" build a bit better.

Personal is personal etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I do agree that shorts are perhaps the most most imprtant piece of clothing and should be considered carefully, but I would start with the lower end and only go up if they don't work out. Certainly, if you are doing 2/3 hours rides a few days a week I cannot see the advantage of the assos.

Not bad advice at all. Most pros dont use Assos at all. I guess they wear what they are given.
    Lumen wrote: »
    They have less padding, and IMO once you have the saddle choice sorted out you want to minimize padding (for reasons relating to compression of soft tissues, blood flow etc).

Personal is personal etc...

Agree here. The shorts that suit me more have less padding. I find that the more padding, the more that I need to shift around in the saddle to find a workable comfy position. With less padding (in short and saddle), I find that you glide into and out of the saddle.

I really like Assos jackets. But some of the stuff is way too overrated.
    The gloves are a joke IMO - fell apart and too little padding. The shorts as many people said are purely personal.

My most uncomfy shorts are Boards shorts and Assos. I wear them when there is nothing else left. One cost about €35 the other about €135.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

From what I have heard plenty of the gear which pros wear is not quite what it seems. Much rebranding goes on and even personal customization of those parts which can't be seen. The assos insert is pretty ubiquitous. The replica team shorts which you can buy in the shops bear very little resemblance to what the riders use, at least in the wealthier teams anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I find DHB bib shorts ( and tights ) great value - really comfy. Like the previous post mentioned, I went through a few cheap ones first.. have them about 6 months and they are wearing well. Mix in some assos cream and its the only part of me that doesn't complain :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Lawdie wrote: »
    Ordering two now...
    31828.jpg

hey man, can you let me know how you get on with these two i.e. identical twins or just plain sisters and whats their personalities like, good between the sheets etc. I am tempted to order at least one.

cheers

Advertisement