Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless 4G Router

Options
  • 21-01-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello, would anyone know if there is a wireless 4g router that will work with my wimax dongle from imagine.

Thanks, Derek.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

heya - I'm looking into this myself and suspect that this will work for you

http://www.dabs.ie/products/netgear-3g--4g-mobile-wireless-n-routr-7BYC.html

Not 100% sure if it will work, but the description says "Wirelessly share your 3G/4G/WiMAX broadband connection virtually anywhere."

By the way, I'm urgently looking to source one of these for just a few days - if you happen to have something that does this job that you'd be able to rent out for a few days I'd be interested in chatting with you about it! cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

It won't work with the Imagine WiMAX USB dongle.
    If you need to do this, you should get the Imagine WiMax Hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I don't think so.

I think only Imagine can supply a suitable router.
    Unless someone recently has released one. The PC driver can't be installed on a Router. If it doesn't have the EXACT model modem on the "Supported" Modem list it won't work.

4G BTW is marketing. Imagine WiMax is really no better than 3G/HSPA (3.5G) and not as mobile as it's a Mobile system on a Fixed band (3.6GHz). That's why it can be great or rubbish for two different people.

Even for Meteor/eMobile (eircom), Three, Vodafone and O2 the Router has to already support the model of USB dongle you have.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 derekoshea

Thanks Edanto, Will look into netgear router and let you know how I get on......

• Advertisement

Afraid that it wont work. They list compatible devices on Netgear.com/3g

What does work is to use Internet Connection Sharing on the WiMax connection, and share it with a wireless router. Turn DHCP off on the router beforehand, and Bob's your mothers brother.

The signal to the 4G router was wiped out from 3 bars to nothing by simply closing a balcony door while we were testing - I wasn't impressed.

Still, when it was connected typical speeds were 7 down and .5 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 derekoshea

Hi edanto, is there any chance you could go into more detail on how you do what you said above.

Thanks Derek.

Advertisement