Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CK405 Genetics

Options
  • 21-01-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

My sister is considering putting Genetics as the first choice on her CAO but she has only studied biology for the Leaving Cert. Could anyone tell us how difficult it would be for a physics and chemistry n00b? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Hey,

I'm studying Biochem and Biochem and Genetics share the same Physics, Chemistry, Maths and some Biology modules and they are also in all of our lectures :)

Having personally done Leaving Cert Chemistry, it's tough going but perfectly managable if she keeps on top of it. Some areas are quite tough but if she reads the Leaving Cert Chemistry course before she starts then she should be able to get a understanding of what shes getting herself in for. Obviously being at college level it's going to be that bit harder but if she studies she should be ok. Any major problems and the Chemistry department offer great Tutorial sessions, lecturers are approachable and will stop to help her in anyway they can. Its the exams that are the killer for us but once again, constant keepin goin top of it etc she should be ok :D Just tell her to read Declan Kennedys 'Chemistry Live' before she goes in and starts.

Physics is a whole different ball game for a lot of us. A good few of us are struggling with it as we never did LC Physics BUT having said that once again the Physics Dept are very approachable and offer grinds and tutorials to students and the lecturers are very approachable in terms of help. Having never done LC Physics I am struggling with it and the notes. The books they give us are good, but once again get her to buy a Leaving Cert Physics book and tell her to sit down and read it. Or else get her to get a friends LC Physics notes so she has an idea.

The Physics is tough going, I'm not going to bulls**t you here, Chemistry for a newbie as well is tough. I've two friends who came in without both Chem and Phys and do have a lot of work to do to get to the level that the people who did LC Phys and Chem came in with (hope that made sense) but they are doing it and are passing with work and time and effort. SO as long as she's willing to put in time and effort she should be grand :D and if shes struggling, the Departments will try there damn hardest to make sure she won't fail.

Any other questions feel free to mail me :D Hope I helped clear everything up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

I also came through the biochem stream - which as IHeartChemistry said, the genetics people take all the same classes. I had taken LC chemistry and still found 1st year chemistry to be pretty hard work but it can be done. Physics was a minefield as I felt we were given lecturers that felt 'biologists' were beneath them! Maybe things have changed in recent years IHeartChemistry? The dropout rate is highest in first year due to these two courses but to be fair, if she is dedicated and works hard she won't have any problems. The people that dropped out were the ones that were not interested in the course. Remember she just has to pass chemistry/physics and some people even pass by compensation from good results on other subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I also came through the biochem stream - which as IHeartChemistry said, the genetics people take all the same classes. I had taken LC chemistry and still found 1st year chemistry to be pretty hard work but it can be done. Physics was a minefield as I felt we were given lecturers that felt 'biologists' were beneath them! Maybe things have changed in recent years IHeartChemistry? The dropout rate is highest in first year due to these two courses but to be fair, if she is dedicated and works hard she won't have any problems. The people that dropped out were the ones that were not interested in the course. Remember she just has to pass chemistry/physics and some people even pass by compensation from good results on other subjects.

Nope, the Physics department still don't like us in that aspect. We recenlty got told that with our Physics lab reports that they won't give us higher than 7 out of 10 because and I quote ''Ye don't want to be doing this Physics module so we won't give ye higher than 7 or 8 because we know ye aren't interested in it''. Pretty crazy from lab demonstrators now tbh. We still get that feeling from the Physics dept but at the end of the day keep them on your side and they will help you!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

Nope, the Physics department still don't like us in that aspect. We recenlty got told that with our Physics lab reports that they won't give us higher than 7 out of 10 because and I quote ''Ye don't want to be doing this Physics module so we won't give ye higher than 7 or 8 because we know ye aren't interested in it''. Pretty crazy from lab demonstrators now tbh. We still get that feeling from the Physics dept but at the end of the day keep them on your side and they will help you!

They certainly don't encourage people. Anyway, the course gets far more interesting post first year and there is more emphasis on the biological sciences. Now, I don't know if this is still the case but a few years back the genetics course was 'housed' by the microbiology dept and didn't have a school of its own. I think some people found this to be a bit of problem in terms of final year projects being distributed across all fields of biology that had a genetic related aspect. Part of the problem is that genetics is a very vague term and all biological disciplines from zoology to biochemistry involve some genetics.

Its very hard to know in 6th year that genetics is your favourite area of biology. Personally, I found greater scope in the biochem stream ck402. I think the name 'genetics' may even be somewhat misleading as a lot of the subjects are the same as the biochem stream all throughout the degree.

A little off topic now, but in all honesty, physics and chemistry are doable but hard work. I had a few friends who had only studied biology and they came through the process with honours degrees. Grinds may also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I'm in first year genetics and as previously said, we take all the same modules as biochem except for a 5 credit genetics module we did before christmas. This module is particularly difficult, we did 2 labs a week for it on top of chemistry, biology and physics labs and then we had to write up all assignments and hand them up the first day back after christmas.
    I find chemistry fine but I did it in the LC. Physics on the other hand just goes in one ear and out the other!! I just can't get my head around it even after getting grinds. The only thing I can say about it is that it's only for first year so all you need to do is pass it. Next year its all genetics modules so its something to look forward to!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement