Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best way of getting rid of stray cats?

Options
  • 21-01-2011 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

This is my brothers garden shed roof after his previous tenants took a liking to feeding the local stray cat population. :p

He now wants rid of them.

ne97j8.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A gun!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

How does he know they are stray? Is the area populated by other people? Just don't feed them, and they'll stop hanging about as much, if it really bothers him he can chase them away until hey get the message. It's not really their fault of they were taught the house was a source of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

for some reason I'm hungry after seeing that picture....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I agree with fatmammycat, just don't feed them they'l soon get the message, chase them away or get a water pistol if need be.
    It's hard to tell from a fuzzy picture but they all look to be in good condition, they may just be someone's pets who figured out they could get a second feeding from hanging around there. And if they are indeed ferals, look into TNR (trap, neuter, release) so that they don't multiply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They seem fairly heathy, well not underweight at least

Maybe they aren't strays but have owners.

Our cat made a show of us, going begging at the neighbours for food.
    Possibly the neighbour thought we never fed her at all :o
    Come to think of it, she got food from another neighbour too, a rat would have more loyalty then that cat.
    Just what they do I suppose

For now, just ignore them

If they're crying for ages then a water pistol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

They're beauties. As the others said, stop feeding them, cats won't bother hanging around for nothing.:pac:

If you notice them losing condition though, you should contact Feral Cats Ireland and they could hope TNR them.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Feral-Cats-Ireland/139138139443187

Alternatively send me that shed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Wish we had a them around our way instead of giant rats and mice!

There was always a crew of strays around our old house and we never saw a mouse/rat in 15 years living there,we are here only 3 months or so and have pest control guys out every fortnght,keep the cats around,they're a lot cheaper then rentokill!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

dahat wrote: »
    A gun!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Have an infraction for that comment.
    Joke or not it doesnt sit well in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I wonder is the cold weather driving the rats out into the open, our tabby is killing one to two rats a day at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Wish we had a them around our way instead of giant rats and mice!

There was always a crew of strays around our old house and we never saw a mouse/rat in 15 years living there,we are here only 3 months or so and have pest control guys out every fortnght,keep the cats around,they're a lot cheaper then rentokill!!

You should consider getting a couple of ferals that have been gone through a rescue. The rescue traps them, neuters them and then releases, but sometimes they look for homes instead of releasing them back to the same area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

they don't look like strays at all, leave them be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

get a dog...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Barnaby

Hardly fair to feed them & then decide to stop!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Can users stop reporting posts when Ive already dealt with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

If you are in dublin
    http://www.catsaid.org.

Advertisement