Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner bike question

Options
  • 21-01-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm sure its being asked a million times so apologies in advance....
    I'm just wondering if anyone would have a recommendation for an entry level road bike, something that will be used just for training, as opposed to a hybrid do a little bit of everything type job. i'd like to need to keep it to less than 250/300 euro mark. If theres any good bike shops that do second hand deals or that have something around that price bracket i'd love to hear about them. I'm not in a position to buy a bike through the bike for work scheme and as much as i have a terrible habit of adding 50€ here and there till i'm pricing €3000 bikes that i probably wouldn't know how to peddle, i have to keep the lid down on this. Even a few brand names in that price range that are ok or good second hand brands to keep an eye out for and what to avoid would be really helpful as i don't even know where to begin. As regards bike shop advice I'm in the dublin area so anywhere around dub at all would be particularly helpful. Thanks!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Try get something like a second hand trek 1.2, specialized allez or boardman comp. They would be three bikes that sold in numbers and you may see some floating around adverts or donedeal.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Stitch09

Excellent, thanks! actually i'm going to be down in Kilkenny over the weekend, is there anywhere down there worth popping into to have a look while i'm down? If i remember right there used to be a place near the Lake school off Johnstreet and another up past Langtons but no idea if they are still there or worth looking at? I'll keep my eyes on the online adverts as well, i've been looking for the last while, but as i said i had no idea as to what to keep an eye out for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Stitch09 wrote: »
    If i remember right there used to be a place near the Lake school off Johnstreet and another up past Langtons...

Both shops are still open. Kilkenny Cycles (michael st.) is still a proper bike shop but walls cycles (maudlin st.) only does kids bikes now as far as I know. There's also Halfords & a new bike shop in the Market Cross shopping centre

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I wouldn't class the one in the market cross as a bicycle shop. Walls do adult bikes but Kilkenny cycles are still top. In my opinion, you'd get a better deal second hand. You could also stick an ad up in the adverts sub-forum.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement