Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to teach in Ireland after primary PGCE?

Options
  • 21-01-2011 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm currently doing a primary PGCE in the UK, and I just want to know what the general concensus is about applying for a job at home in Ireland afterwards??

Does it look better if you complete your NQT year in the UK?? has anyone done the PGCE and then returned home?? because the two systems seem to be quite different from eachother and I'm a little scared about adapting to the Irish system! :( also whats the craic with a cert in RE? do I have to have one of those before I can teach at home? and can I teach for a while before doing the Irish exam??? sorry about all the q's!! thanks...:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to Teaching & Lecturing - I'm sure this question comes up there a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

If I were you I'd at least stay in UK until NQT year is done, if not longer. Things here are quite depressing and competition for jobs is tough. You can teach for a while here without your Irish but may go against you when applying for jobs. Not 100% on how you'd go about getting the RE though but it's a requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 scarletforurma

I am nearly totally sure that you have no choice in staying in the uk for your dip year - rules have changed and the dip has changed. check the department website here to be sure . you still have to do your irish n that.

Advertisement