Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling this weekend? How cold will it feel?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Interesting when you add your down hill speed into the wind, e.g. if the air tempreture is 3c as it is outside today, the windspeed is 10kph, and I'm doing 40kph downhill into the wind, it will feel like -4c. Sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Apart from different layers of clothes, don't forget a decent pair of gloves. Freezing hands are not that good, I suppose ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

toes are hard to keep warm as well.... brrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Possedion wrote: »
    toes are hard to keep warm as well.... brrr.

Deep heat on the toes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Maybe they should express it in the number of copies of these required:

imgopt.sized.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Headdy

Did 30 miles yesterday, by mile 25 ice crystals had formed in the water bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

Bradley Wiggins tweeted a good tip a few months ago for keeping the feet warm in cold weather. Wrap your feet in cling film (over the socks). He swears by it!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cantalach wrote: »
    Bradley Wiggins tweeted a good tip a few months ago for keeping the feet warm in cold weather. Wrap your feet in cling film (over the socks). He swears by it!
    Yeah, but he got the idea from Captain Havoc:

13533_192083475305_726840305_4408867_8214689_n.jpg

A bit of inspiration putting the cling-film between the socks and shoes though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Beasty wrote: »
    Yeah, but he got the idea from Captain Havoc:

13533_192083475305_726840305_4408867_8214689_n.jpg

A bit of inspiration putting the cling-film between the socks and shoes though...
    And i thought my legs were hairy, no wonder he can wear shorts even when his feet are freezing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

2hrs today, windchill was noticeable when heading north.

Was wearing coolmax socks, shoes and de marchi overshoes on the feet, campag roubaix bottoms with insert, helly hansen base, endura stealth jacket and santini gloves, de marchi skullcap under the helmet.

Had to put a buff round my chin(s) into the wind when heading north, apart from that it was fine.

Re the cling film, best option for really cold days is cling film on the feet, socks on, tin foil over that and then get the shoes on. Did that one winter in Scotland, warm as toast!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I was driving back from Rosbeigh beach with kids today. I saw two hardy souls out ib mtbs.
    They were both wearing short, jersey, no gloves or hats. No leggings etc.

Very sunny, but -1 degree celsius today.

I was cold at the beach wearing three layers under a good windproof fleece, hat and scarf.
    Either those lads are pure animal tough or mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Drove through sallygap today, I wouldn't recommend descending the roundwood side if you value the skin on your arms and legs. Car wheels were spinning where the ice/frost was shaded by the trees.

Glencree road is fine but cold and foggy (surprise). Air temp was -5 at midday, though it warmed up as the day went on.

I'd say you'll have the same conditions tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭polariz

Would like to hit the Sally Gap tomorrow.. is it too icy? Supposed to be slightly warmer tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Was out for 2hours today, very cold and foggy but the roads out around Dunboyne,Kilcock and Maynooth seemed fine.

Advertisement