Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which free forum?

Options
  • 21-01-2011 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey guys, i'm creating my own wrestling forum. It will be a mature but a bit of craic forum. What free forum would you reccomend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

are you hosting it yourself or looking for a free forum site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Raytoe

Nerin wrote: »
    are you hosting it yourself or looking for a free forum site?
    Hosting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I find Mybb is nice and simple to use, phbb seems pretty popular too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I do like SMF myself. PHPBB is very susceptible to spam, I set up a PHPBB board, left it on my server, didn't link it anywhere and it picked up LOADS of bots.

Ultimately, bots will be a problem on every piece of software, but I think less so on SMF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

nah, phpBB3 isnt that bad with spam. Well, I mean it is, but you can easily stop it!

My phpBB3 site (see sig) was getting destroyed with spambots every day, but then I upgraded to the new version 3.0.7 (3.0.8 is out now) which comes with CAPTCHA, and spam has dropped to zero!

OP, if you're only testing the waters, personally I'd recommend phpBB3. For any forum though, make sure your host allows you a database, eg mySQL. I'm with digiweb and they didnt support some other things like mod_rewrite and a cupla other things (which are needed for all types of forum software) but I was able to manually enable them in the .htaccess file. Keep that in mind. Just make sure they give you a database! Everything else should be fixable.

Also, if the site gets big then you can always buy vBulletin (what boards.ie uses) and convert the database with the scripts found in their support forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement