Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im starting my own...

Options
  • 21-01-2011 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

What wrestling forums are you on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Raytoe

Wrestling forum and wondering what free forum to use. Does anyone here run one themselfs and what do ya use?

Im new here and i apologise if this is the wrongforum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Irish wrestling forums do not really work. Many have tried and failed. This is the only constant, so why not just post here?

gimmick wrote: »
    Irish wrestling forums do not really work. Many have tried and failed. This is the only constant, so why not just post here?

Im on American forums. I know posters who will help me so i can do an American one.

I just wasn't sure how strict you guys are here, but ya seem pretty cool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

only here.

tbh no need for any others. news is posted if its worth posting in the news thread almost immediatley once it becomes news, and if any story is worthy of discussion there is always a thread for it with intellectual (for the most part) posts filling it. There is little or no tribalism, flaming etc and lots of little side threads to keep the place ticking over (off topic, the draft etc)

everything in the news thread is sourced so you can see there where people generally get there news also.

im sure im biast being a mod but i was only made a mod because i was a long time poster here and thats due to the standard of the board and the posters within

I like it here but i think ya should start your own. With the help and agreement with who ever runs this forum. Cause you would do very well. Im on one and tbh, ite run by a bunch of adult children. They do podcasts about a user they banned and took the piss out of her. So im creating my own, and from fellow irish people, ye seem very smart. Would ya like to help? Like the link to the forum would be from Boards.ie, they could own it, i'd just set it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

consider starting a FB group instead. Asking people to sign up to a new page is really hard and fruitless work.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    consider starting a FB group instead. Asking people to sign up to a new page is really hard and fruitless work.
    I'd rather set up one tbh. FB just doesn't occur to me when it comes to pages. I go to FB to talk to friends and stuff.

Raytoe wrote: »
    I'd rather set up one tbh. FB just doesn't occur to me when it comes to pages. I go to FB to talk to friends and stuff.

Why do you want to set up your own? is it financial reasons? if not why not just use something like Boards.ie? you suggested in your other thread (might merge them if we dont get others talking about other forums they use but i think such a thread was done anyway) that we should consider making our own forum seperate from boards, again I wonder why?

Why do you want to set up your own? is it financial reasons? if not why not just use something like Boards.ie? you suggested in your other thread (might merge them if we dont get others talking about other forums they use but i think such a thread was done anyway) that we should consider making our own forum seperate from boards, again I wonder why?
    Cause there is so many threads on here. You could get a lot more users if its using an American site.

I was just saying.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I mentioned FB because I've made/seen many wrestling sites that failed. The easiest way to get new members (which is what a site is all about) is on Facebook. I can't stress the difficulty of asking people to add a bookmark/sign up to a new site; especially when there's other bigger sites to be part of. Unless you've got a constant stream of fresh, amazing content that nobody else has! Even at that's it's a struggle! :o

fyi here's two FB communities I'm really happy to be a part of :
    OSW Chat (Irish) :
    Review-a-Wai (Canada-based radio show)

and it's more enjoyable -despite really great efforts- than TWFNews.

Anyway, that's my advice, good luck with the site!! :)

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I mentioned FB because I've made/seen many wrestling sites that failed. The easiest way to get new members (which is what a site is all about) is on Facebook. I can't stress the difficulty of asking people to add a bookmark/sign up to a new site; especially when there's other bigger sites to be part of. Unless you've got a constant stream of fresh, amazing content that nobody else has! Even at that's it's a struggle! :o

fyi here's two FB communities I'm really happy to be a part of :
    OSW Chat (Irish) :
    Review-a-Wai (Canada-based radio show)

and it's more enjoyable -despite really great efforts- than TWFNews.

Anyway, that's my advice, good luck with the site!! :)
    Thanks for that, nice advice

Thats something i agree with. But it depends how you make the site look. Like the right colors and i think the name tells a lot about a forum. Make it look mature and that. Would one of yas be able to help me.

Im not trying to steal people from here, just a little help. Its ok if not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Threads merged.

Thats something i agree with. But it depends how you make the site look. Like the right colors and i think the name tells a lot about a forum. Make it look mature and that. Would one of yas be able to help me.

Im not trying to steal people from here, just a little help. Its ok if not.

sounds like the PW forum wouldent be the right place almost as it sounds more like a web design, maintanence etc question there. There is probably a board on boards that would be better suited to giving you this knowledge.

sounds like the PW forum wouldent be the right place almost as it sounds more like a web design, maintanence etc question there. There is probably a board on boards that would be better suited to giving you this knowledge.
    Ok, where should i go then?

im no expert on those things but check the drop down menus at the top for forums with regards web design etc one of the tech boards probably. Atleast regulars in there would know where to point you if your still talking to the wrong people.

not that nobody in here could not know what your asking but i guess we are more like yourself here, Wrestling fans who for the most part wouldent neccesarily know how to set up a forum of our own off hand

Ok, thank you very much for the advice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Good luck with it Raytoe. Can't say I see the the requirement or USP of it, but worth a try if it's something you're interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

This site, and this board in particular, is different from most wrestling sites. There's a definite sense of community, that I find very lacking on other message board sites. Here, ya know posters personalities better than you would on other sites.

Also, there is much needed mods on here that keep everything in check on the rare occasions there is any trouble. All you have to do is look at the chatbox of a wrestling stream to see how bad it could be. AFAIK this is the biggest Irish wrestling board? why would anyone want anything different? Not criticising you, hope it goes well, but I'm curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Which the exact reason why when I set up my website I thought there was no point trying to host a seperate from Boards wrestling podcast and instead host Boards one. Boards PW is a perfect wrestling forum and there is simply no real need for another Irish based one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

A new wrestling forum you say?!

outu.jpg

Hey, some know but i strated a thread about a wrestling forum here a few days ago. I'm not trying to take some members because it's too basic for you guys. Could you join up and just make some smart topics? It would be a great benifit to the forum. It's still growing and trying to promote it in evry way.

Link: http://fanswwecommunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

If this is inappropiate one of the MODS can delete it.

Please can you help me on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Have you anyone signed up for it already?

glenjamin wrote: »
    Have you anyone signed up for it already?
    Yes, 27 so far.

And over 800 people on twitter will see this by a user who will tweet it. Well, however many is online will see it.

Please, give your opinon on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

1. How can the staff on the forums have over 1000 posts each when there aren't even 1000 posts on the site?
    2. http://fanswwecommunity.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1 What in the blue hell is this!?
    3. That background is a bit of an eyesore
    4. SO MANY GIFS
    5. "I did a forum.." ......really?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Animated avatars - X
    Giant signatures - X
    Awful background - X
    Chat-box noises - X

Not attracting me at all so far!

You get an A for effort.

Also, you might want to make an "no text speak" rule.
    Do that and im there. :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Ugh. A proboards site. Are you serious?

Why did you ask for help in setting up a forum, when you were just going to go off and use a really **** forum template.

Seriously, my mates did this in 2004 and it was **** then.

Note to OP:
    Buy a domain name, use that as the address of the site.

It wont look as bad as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just to reiterate, because it's important to...

Using a pro-boards (or invision free) isn't nessecarily a bad thing if done right. I've seen plenty of those sorts of boards work well and have been involved in two which ran for years. Using the most basic of layouts that is so, so generic though is a bad thing. Likewise, the repeating picture background is a real attack on the eyes (something you don't want, presumably, given you talked earlier about trying to get the right combo of colours, etc) and comes accross as amatureish, which will drive people away.

As CMPunked said, buying a domain name (EG www.fanswwecommunity.com) would make the site far less generic. Right now it doesn't really have anything at all seperating it off from the millions of other amature proboard wrestling forums out there, and that will kill the site within days. Having artifical post counts is weird. Another piece of advice; if you're using "fanswwecommunity" in your web address, use it in the name of your site as well, which is currently "Prowrestling Federation" (which, again, is really generic). Pick one name or the other and stick with it so that people can remember it and to make the site easier to find.

Advertisement