Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerobatic Ravens

Options
  • 21-01-2011 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I was up the mountains the other day when I saw 8 Ravens all at once, patrolling the uplands together. I always see Ravens up there, but never as many as 8 at once before. Anyway, two of them were engaging in the most wonderful aerobatic displays / playing / 'courting'. They were really spectacular, twisting and turning, coming together in mid air, flying over and under eachother. Fantastic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

First time I ever saw / 'Ticked' Ravens was on a paid for, guided bird tour. The bloke asked if I had raven yet and I said no. So he took me to a place where they hung out.

We got out of the motor. He looked up and said, " There ye go. Ravens. " And, even as I looked up and was ecstatic to be seeing my first ever ravens, a peregrine falcon appeared and started having some argy bargy with them!

Talk about value for money! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I love ravens!!!! They are a majestic bird!! I saw some up near the Dublin airport area last December. Magic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I want a raven!

Was working outside building a stone wall, and was watching a pair chatting away to each other on a pylon, I tried to communicate with them, but I dunno!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

yep, big raven fan too. biggest I ever saw was whilst on a holiday to the rocky mountains, they were huge! must try find the pics I took.

I think if you have ones that are regular visitors near you they will eventually pick up on a specific call/name you allocate them, all whilst looking like a loony neighbour to your neighbours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I saw 12 together once on part of the farm, that must be three years ago. There are three nests in the area that I know of. I'm seeing them more often flying over the village too, until last year they didn't come near it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement