Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Montessori set up cost.

Options
  • 21-01-2011 6:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Been looking around online for information haven t come across much really only thing was a thread started about setting up a montessori few years ago and i reckon its differnt after the recession has hit.

Any way want to know if anybody has info for me regarding the cost involved in setting up a montessori and what way i would go about it.
    I already have a building in mind that is only newly built although im aware i would have to do some small changes to it so its up to standard.
    I dont have a huge budget at the moment but i reckon i could get a small operation started and hopefully grow over time.
    The building i have in mind is a seperate building to a house thats on private land with great access so would be perfect has large garden that has lot space.

My girlfriend is a montessori teacher and i reckon we could offer a great service.She would run it on a day to day basis obviously and i would just look after the business side of things till its up and running then maybe step back into my field.

We are young with not a whole lot of business experience just a will to suceed and i have some money saved and want to give it a shot while im young if it doesnt work out sure its not the end of the world.
    I will have guidance from some really great people who have experience in setting up sucessful business.

Oh and it will be based in the Dublin 15 area!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Don't forget after-school service. It's a logical extension of the business. Plus you have two months in summer where you won't have any revenue from the Montessori.

Rent
    Staff
    Heat
    Water
    Light
    Insurance
    Cleaning
    Toys
    Montessori Equipment - wooden so expensive
    Rates

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You really have to sort out the planning issues beforehand. Parking and access seem to be major issues.

There are a lot of purpose-built creche/montessori facilities lying empty in new developments and you should take this into consideration. what impact could this have in the medium or long term? Or are these possibly an opportunity? Bear in mind that the plan was for fairly large childcare operators were supposed to take these over.

There is a lot of regulation which you need to take into account. I would certainly talk to the HSE before spending any money.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/pre_school_education_and_childcare/health_safety_and_welfare_of_preschool_childcare_services.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Myself and my wife run a montessori. She teaches and runs the school and I deal with the business end of things...

There's a hell of a lot to take into consideration. If you've any questions feel free to drop me a pm and I'll help you as best I can...

One thing to note, if you plan on doing after school care the layout of the building will need to be a good bit different from what is required for a montessori. You can get info on this from the HSE.

You don't mention staff in your post. Technically your girlfriend can run the school alone with a max of 6 kids. Anything over that and you need another adult/techer. So that's something to take into consideration. Can the income from 6 kids cover the costs and create a profit. If not you need more kids, if you only get 10 kids will that cover the costs along with staff wages (along with wages you have prsi, contracts, holiday pay etc), they're things people tend not to think about when employing staff. For example, for one of our staff we pay around €55 a week in employers PRSI. Might not sound like much but that's near enough the income you make in a week from a child on the ECCE scheme (€64.50)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Newbee012

Hi Just came across your post..Did you manage to get set up?
    I'm wondering how much the insurance for this type of service is? I would be on my own, so max of 6 kids, tbh probably would only take in 4, as i think 1:6 is a bit high for what I want to provide.
    Thanks.

Newbee012 wrote: »
    Hi Just came across your post..Did you manage to get set up?
    I'm wondering how much the insurance for this type of service is? I would be on my own, so max of 6 kids, tbh probably would only take in 4, as i think 1:6 is a bit high for what I want to provide.
    Thanks.

http://www.childminding.ie/insurance/registered-childminders-insurance/

€155, for 6 or under you can register as a childminder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Newbee012

unklerosco wrote: »
    http://www.childminding.ie/insurance/registered-childminders-insurance/

€155, for 6 or under you can register as a childminder.

Is that all? I was always under impression it would be at least 4 figures! Thanks so much will check out link now.

Newbee012 wrote: »
    Is that all? I was always under impression it would be at least 4 figures! Thanks so much will check out link now.

Nope, The likes of creches would be 4 figures..

Advertisement