Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need advice on a Suzuki Jimny

Options
  • 21-01-2011 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Ive come across a suzuki Jimny for sale for €1,500 its a year 2000 model 1.3 petrol with 86,000 miles. Is advertised in a dealership and looks in pretty good condition. It says it has had 3 owners and is NCT up to feb 2012.

Parts of me is thinking is this too good to be through? Ive been looking up susuki jimnys for a while and have been saving. Most of the cheapest ones Ive come across have been about €3,500 to €4,000 about the same year and probably 60,000 miles seems to be the average. This would be my first car and I basicaly need it as a run around I wouldnt be travelling long distances in it or doing much motorway driving.

I suppose Im asking does anybody have any experience with suzukis? and thinking theres obviously something wrong with it or is this a normal price range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

No expert but I did test drive a similar model recently. IMO they are designed as a girls jeep. They have a very high centre of gravity, rev high and the 1.3 struggles to pull the chassis. I walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

dnme wrote: »
    No expert but I did test drive a similar model recently. IMO they are designed as a girls jeep. They have a very high centre of gravity, rev high and the 1.3 struggles to pull the chassis. I walked away.

Girls jeep lol
    Its a Suzuki so it should be reliable, i think they are kinda cool...deffo as a first car.....dont be a sheep and buy a polo/punto/saxo.
    Drove one some years ago...had a good little 4wd system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

i like them, i should reckon as was said, being a suzuki reliability should be good too. grand for a first car, i dont think they are a girls jeep either.

a pajero junior, now theres a girls jeep.

if the garage is offering warranty with the car, and its a quality, well established garage then i would go for it. it could well just be priced competitively :)

have you got a link for said car?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Def not a girls jeep, they're a more capable of roader than 90% of the jeeps out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

This high CoG reputation thing seems to have plagued suzuki jeeps since a class action in the US way back. I drove a Jimny round plenty of downhill hairpins in Greece and it never felt like rolling :D tyre squeal yes, rolling no :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

sept09baby wrote: »

Yep that would be the one. Im sure theres no harm in test driving it anyway I have driven one before, one of my friends has one and I havent heard any complaints from her and she does alot of driving in it.

Mr Boots dont worry I wont be a sheep thats the reason Im looking for something different not really into driving a boring Fiat for the sake of it (no offence to anybody who drives one :p)

Oh and Im a girl so no need to worry about it being a girls jeep :D

Looks nice, I dont know if thats condensation on the inside of the windows or its dew on the outside, might be worth checking under floor mats and carpet for damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I owned two Jimny's and would say that they were fantastic mini jeeps. They have a 2 wheel and 4 wheel option and the 4 wheel option is excellent. Whilst they have ample room for driver and passengers they have limited boot space. Very economical to run and tax being 1.3.

I would have one criticism, comfortable on short rides but suspension is not great on long drives and these journeys can be uncomfortable.

All in all, as a run around and first car! go for it!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Ammsy500 wrote: »
    Yep that would be the one. Im sure theres no harm in test driving it anyway I have driven one before, one of my friends has one and I havent heard any complaints from her and she does alot of driving in it.

Mr Boots dont worry I wont be a sheep thats the reason Im looking for something different not really into driving a boring Fiat for the sake of it (no offence to anybody who drives one :p)

Oh and Im a girl so no need to worry about it being a girls jeep :D

Re-girls jeep - I rest my case :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

be careful going around corners, I mean it, a friend has a 07 one, and regrets the day she bought it (brand new) 50 euros just about gets her up and down to dublin, that was when it was 121:9 per litre, so God only knows now what its capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Damn its already sold :( I knew it was a little bargain and get snapped up fast.

Ah well have to keep looking thanks anyway good to hear peoples reviews of them.

padma wrote: »
    be careful going around corners, I mean it, a friend has a 07 one, and regrets the day she bought it (brand new) 50 euros just about gets her up and down to dublin, that was when it was 121:9 per litre, so God only knows now what its capable of.

Where is home for her?

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Where is home for her?

Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

My wife had a Jimney a few years back. The most uncomfortable car/jeep I ever drove. On a long journey your back would be killing you from the flimsy seats and your hands would be numb from the vibration in the steering wheel (had wheels rebalanced several times to no avail) as for cornering - the jeep was totally unstable (high c o g) I also found that it was really difficult to control at speeds over 50 mph as it seemed to bounce all over the road. Other problems - very little leg room in back and almost no boot. The one upside was it's reale value, i.e. the only day we were really happy with it was when we got rid of it.

Thats not too bad is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭philipm

A friend of mine had one (a man) looking for something different but it scared the crap out of him on motorways as cross winds or any light would make it feel unstable at speed. If you do only city driving then this would be fine

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Thats not too bad is it?

For a 1.3 I wouldnt be so happy with that., I put 70 in to my xsara 1.4 and Im up and down to Dublion twice with a few days city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

If you get one.. only go for the hardtops.

Body is galvanised and hardtops had twin cam motor.. will do 35mpg and have superb 4x4 system with auto free wheeling hubs.

Will embarrass a Land Rover off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

padma wrote: »
    For a 1.3 I wouldnt be so happy with that., I put 70 in to my xsara 1.4 and Im up and down to Dublion twice with a few days city driving.

Apples and oranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

i drive a 06 suzuki grand vitara xl7. its a heap of dirt regret buying it. the jeep itself is fine slightly under powered with just a 2litre engine. but real problem is its got a peugeot engine very trouble some

Advertisement