Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildlife in UCD

Options
  • 21-01-2011 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have much experience of what wildlife can be found on the UCD campus?

I have seen grey squirrels, foxes, the usual array of garden birds and a few fish, I think down in the "secret" lake.

Anyone seen anything rare/interesting? Any birds of prey about? Lots of wooded areas on the periphery of the campus that I haven't explored so Id presume these mini-woodlands must harbour some interesting creatures?

Love to know what you think anyway.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

Yes, they come out when it is getting dark..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Clearpreso wrote: »
    what wildlife can be found on the UCD campus? ..... Anyone seen anything rare/interesting?

We're waiting on this one: Nutcracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

Yeh, I had seen that actually and it reminded me to start this thread which I had been thinking about for a while.

I was really surprised to see Fish actually hopping about in that little lake (which has gone awfully downhill of late).

I don't actually know the site myself. Only ever passed through Dublin twice in my life ~ both times in a hell of a rush.

Don't suppose ye've been and had a look for that reported Nutcracker, have ye? If I drove a motor, I'd have been burning rubber down there myself yesterday!

Hmmm I saw it yeh, excuse my ignorance here, but... what's the big deal RE nutcracker? Very rare?

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek: Ye saw it? What, the Nutcracker? O M G !!!!! PLEEEEEEASE get us a photo!

Rare?! I need to go and lay down now, just from thinking about it! If this thing turns out proven? I'll be begging for a lift to Dublin!

Sorry, ha, (jeez everyone if very twitchy over this) - I saw the report, and the thread about it. Not the bird, maybe I did, but I wouldnt even have known it was something special.

Ive never head of a nutcracker before in my life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I have seen buzzards, sparrowhawks, peregrines and even a barn owl on the UCD campus. There are frogs as well, and hedgehogs. The wee lake was a great spot for heron a while back.

Just keep an eye out and you will spot stuff :). Happy watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

ucd is a great spot for birding - with all the mature woodlands and a groundsman who's precious about looking after biodiversity - it's well worth a walk around.
    Some of what I've seen are:
    teal down at the secret lakes at the mo - which is pretty cool, I saw a kingfisher for the first time there on friday - I saw a water rail in the colder temps, moorhens, tufted ducks, lesser redpolls, linnets, greenfinches, goldfinches, chaffinches, bullfinches, all the tits, a lovely flock of 6 Long tailed tits behind the vets building, goldcrests, redwings, siskin ... some people have seen Brambling, sparrowhawks, short eared owls (in winter) - but I've not been lucky enough to see them yet.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

MB, where did people spot the short eared owl? PM me if you think it would be best.

I suspected I caught a flash of a kingfisher once a few years back but discounted it. I must have another look now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

There are some sizeable carp in the main lake near the arts block.

Really?... Carp in that lake/pond... How would they have gotten there?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Clearpreso wrote: »
    Really?... Carp in that lake/pond... How would they have gotten there?
    I guess someone put them there? :rolleyes:

Alun wrote: »
    I guess someone put them there? :rolleyes:

Wow... my mistake... looks like there are big fish there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEjKUj8wdwY

Advertisement