Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time Cert/Diploma in Irish??

Options
  • 20-01-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hey, does anyone know where I can do a part time course as Gaeilge that will lead to a qulaification in the end. I know there was one last year run through NUI Maynooth, but I cant seem to get any imformation on it.

I am currently working as a Primary teacher, well recently unemployed, and want to enhance my credentials by having a Gaeilge qualification to my name.

Anyone have any ideas??

Oh and in Dublin or surrounding environs if possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cha82

hi thehamo,

I know that NUIM runs a one year part-time course that leads to a Certificate in teaching Irish to Adults (Teastas i Múineadh na Gaeilge d'Aosaigh). Not sure if thats the one you are referring to above but i know it can be difficult to find in google searches etc. without the exact wording.

Anyway it's basically a part-time course that requires you to attend 10 Saturdays from September to March, plus do some TP, essays and a portfolio if i remember correctly. NUIM also does a 2 year part-time Higher Diploma in Translation (Árd-Dioplóma san Aistriúchán). I will try an attach a link where you can get more specific information on both.

http://www.nuim.ie/oifignagaeilge/english/irish_classes.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hey Cha82,

I saw that alright yeh, but they ran one that was just a Diploma in Gailge full stop and it was ran in either NUIM or St Pats Drumcondra. I actually applied to do it last year but they never got back to me. I think the translation one would be kinda translation specific.

Thanks for the reccomendation though

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cha82

No worries thehamo,

Ok, now I think the course you are talking about is the Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge. I didn't mention it earlier because as far as I am aware it is mainly used by would be B.Ed and Post-grad in Primary teaching candidates who do not meet the leaving cert requirement in Irish. I'm sure it is open to all applicants though, but it may be a little basic for you. :D

http://www.nuim.ie/language/courses/dip-irish.shtml

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You could also try the Teastas Eorpach sa Ghaeilge. You can check teg.ie to see the different levels and where you think you're at. It's the normal European format for these kinds of exams which means you don't have to take any classes (but can if you want), you can just do the exam. You can jump straight in an do C2 which would show on your CV that you're fluent in Irish. Or else you could start at A and give yourself something to work towards.

There are many books you coud pick up second hand that would help you learn Irish at home. And then you could go to a ciorcal comhrá in a library.

Advertisement