Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

northside beginner spin 22/1/11

Options
  • 20-01-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I shouldn't be masquerading as a beginner any more, but totally out of condition and looking to start the new year with a first spin up to the Hill of Tara Saturday if the weather holds:
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=200687

c. 70km there and back, pretty flat I would imagine. I'll probably be going out with my fixie so even slower than I normally am.

Post if you are interested, especially if you have actual knowledge of where this hill is and good routes to get there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

what time are you planning on heading out? have no idea where the hill is but might try to tag along. 70km on the fixie tho', not sure if I could manage that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭wallplugsocket

Have the best route,IMO, mapped out in my head but crap with road names, so gimme a wee while to jot it down! Wot have the pleasure of joining ye with work :(

Ok so if your starting for example at fast fix garage on the old swords road;

Continue down the old swords road and when you cone to the junction for the old airport road hang a left

Continue down this road, in the direction of harristown, take a right, you'll come to a roundabout where you exit left

The next junction you come to is a crossroads so you take a right there.

This part is a great long stretch.

Continue straight; through a few roundabouts;

When you get to the Ashbourne roundabout take the ratoath exit which will
    Be the second one

Take this road all the way into ratoath and follow it through the village;

You'll come to a roundabout at the end of the village; exit right

You stay on and follow this road into dunshaughlin

At the crossroads you come to; take a right

Continue along this road; going straight through any roundabouts; tara hill
    Is well signposted; it will be taking a road to your left;

This is a steep little climb so make sure and have energy reserves
    For that final push!

Sorry my directions/roadnames aren't the greatest, I'm working off pure mapping it out in my head as I go, I'm sure
    Somebody can stick it into googlemaps for you to get everything
    Measured out!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Great coffee & cake at the Hill of Tara.

happygoose wrote: »
    Great coffee & cake at the Hill of Tara.

Another reason I'm bitter that I'm working! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

thanks for the directions, I'll try and plot them on something this evening.
    Snollup, was thinking of 10am start - using the excuse of letting any ice melt + bit longer in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Why not go on join the lads from Swords CC on the Sunday morning. Check out the website swordscc.com for definite times etc. There alwats happy to see newcomers. If ya go with the touring group taken out by John Ward you should be ok on the fixie. Pace is usually around 26/27k average.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I think if you take the Gerry brannigan route its a bit better you can then turn right on the N3 and then a kilometer or so left up tara. Come back in thru dunsany , warrenstown, Dunboyne.

My club Ravens meet every sat and Sun at 9.30am at Superquinn in Finglas and welcome anybody as long as they wear a helmet and can do a decent pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Swordscc touring group are leaving at 10am on sunday (usually 9)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Just a word of warning. I am just back from a short spin and there are a good few roads around (Nth County anyway) that are treachorous. I f the sun hasnt hit the rd there is heavy frost ice.
    Could be a bit scary on 700c's

• Advertisement

Okay, going to do this route: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=200825, leaving at 11 as my hip is still smarting from a bang on the ice yesterday.
    Regarding the pointers to various clubs, I've thought about it but I can't manage the commitment - 2 chidlers have to be entertained or at least minded. When I can get out I like to hit Wicklow, this is my season warm up. Plus I've yet to see Tara even though I was paid-up treehugging M3 moaner.
    Snollup, you still up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Is it another morning for the turbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I am just saying that even on big knobblies there were some tricky moments. I would hate to hit a bend that hasnt seen the sun in a few days on skinny's. Your leg/hip/elbow/shoulder may not thank you.

Aw man, you guys are harshing my mellow. May just do a few spins up Howth instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Dave11 wrote: »
    Why not go on join the lads from Swords CC on the Sunday morning. Check out the website swordscc.com for definite times etc. There alwats happy to see newcomers. If ya go with the touring group taken out by John Ward you should be ok on the fixie. Pace is usually around 26/27k average.
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    Swordscc touring group are leaving at 10am on sunday (usually 9)

Swords CC REALLY do want you!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

"Okay, going to do this route: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=200825, leaving at 11 as my hip is still smarting from a bang on the ice yesterday."

Just looking at your route Souter and that road between Swords and Ashbourne can be fairly shady in places and some spots might not thaw if it freezes overnight. It's also fairly narrow and a lot of bad bends on it. If you were to head out onto the N2 it's a quiet enough road now all the way to Ashbourne and beyond due to the bypass.

calistro wrote: »
    "Okay, going to do this route: http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=200825, leaving at 11 as my hip is still smarting from a bang on the ice yesterday."

Just looking at your route Souter and that road between Swords and Ashbourne can be fairly shady in places and some spots might not thaw if it freezes overnight. It's also fairly narrow and a lot of bad bends on it. If you were to head out onto the N2 it's a quiet enough road now all the way to Ashbourne and beyond due to the bypass.

Yes, the weather isn't looking the Mae West either so going to do this another day. Damn, my first effort at initiating a spin ends in dismal failure.

But on the positive I'm being headhunted by SwordsCC

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

I usually go out with the Swords "Saturday 9.15am group", didn't go this morning coz the I reckoned it would be too dangerous with the roads.

Planning to go out tomorrow (Sunday) with the 10am group -Haven't been out in ages so dying to get back into it.

Advertisement