Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty heatmerchant flow control valves

Options
  • 20-01-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

About 18 months ago I retro fitted 3 flow control valves to my heating system (updstairs/down/cylinder), along with the thermostats and 3 channel timer/control unit.

The control valves were heatmerchants, 5 wire.

The system worked perfectly for a almost a year, then on of the valves malfunctioned. The light would come on when called by the thermostat but the little override ever didn't move, nor did the unit switch on the boiler.

I still had the receipt and I had the unit replaced for free. Fine, no problem.

Now 6 months later the house wasn't heating fully so I went to investigate,

One flow valve (the 'new' one), the little lever was loose, would move back and forward with no resistance.

Another one had the same problem as before (light on but not opening the valve).

How could I be so unlucky to have 3 valves fail in 18 months?

I have since lost the receipts, so it looks like Ill have to stump up another 70quid to have them replaced.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Replace them with SAUTER actuators. There a bit better than the heatmerchants one's. The other option would be to replace the whole valve with Myson or Danfoss ones. The good thing with the SAUTER is if you ever have to replace it you just unplug the cable take the actuator off, fit the new one and plug the cable back in.

Personally I would replace with the myson or Danfoss. (quite life)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kejxyz

JohnnieK, Thanks.

I'd rather not have to drain the system, and get the spanners out etc. so I think Ill just replace the actuators. Where can you get the Sauter actuators? I'm in Carlow.

Are the danfoss or myson, more reliable, quieter or what, is it really worth the hassle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Danfoss and myson are in a different league to the heatmerchants valves.
    Can't believe heatmerchants still sell them motorised valves ,they are unbelievably crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Have used sauter on a few occassions though my preference would be honeywell, the reason being as suggested in a previous post the plug and play aspect of them which means you dont have to break into the wiring centre. They are giving a 5 year warranty on these valves. It is worth making sure the system is clean and treated with inhibitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

kejxyz wrote: »
    JohnnieK, Thanks.

I'd rather not have to drain the system, and get the spanners out etc. so I think Ill just replace the actuators. Where can you get the Sauter actuators? I'm in Carlow.

Are the danfoss or myson, more reliable, quieter or what, is it really worth the hassle?

Don't know were in Carlow but have a look at www.ephcontrols.com there the agents for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement