Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cllr Des Hurley heads to dail eireann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

He's part of a party that couldn't even oust the worst Govt in living memory. What makes you think they are capable of effecting change now. The lure of that juicy pension is what attracts these guys to run. Will Carlow people ever learn? M J Nolan and Mary White served the people of the town up what it deserved for electing them; an exhibition of uselessness. Their two pensions would educate a lot of people every year. Ask yourself, where will the money come to pay them?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Jacques Thelad

Well, I read his website. I hope his writing is not an indication of his ability, 'cos if it is...

Also, aside from his political career I want to know what other work he's done in the 'real' world where it counts. And a word to the wise, if he's going to impress voters of a certain age he'd better raise his game online. Starting yesterday.

Still, good luck to him. Can't be any worse than the other gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

I kind of have to agree,

Des Hurley does not stick out in my mind as having done a lot in Carlow?
    (for such a long time in our presents)

Pardon my ignorance if I am incorrect,
    I am open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

spcw wrote: »
    At Last a chance the elect a real carlow TD to the dail from a party that will be in power.

http://www.labour.ie/deshurley/

what do other carlow posters think ?

NB: I am not a labour party member.

It seems strange that Labour have been openly saying that they need younger candidates, yet this guy has been chosen. Also, as Jacques thelad said his bio on the Labour party page is not well written at all and considering it is just a couple of paragraphs, a better effort should have been made.

If people are looking for a Carlow candidate to be elected I feel their best bet is with Fine Gael's Patrick Deering. FG will now have momentum and he will get a lot of Carlow votes.

I don't subscribe to voting purely for a candidate because of where he is from, at this stage I want someone who has National politics as his priority. For local politics, thats what councillors should be for.

Having said all that Des Hurley and Patrick Deering will get some vote from me as they are not Fianna Fáil, Green, or Sinn Féin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well Fine Gael has p1ssed off a few Tullow voters seen as their Deering flyer had Tullow spelt wrong using "Tollow"

Can't say I know Hurley but I do welcome another Carlow candidate from a possible Government party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scallioneater

Villain wrote: »
    Well Fine Gael has p1ssed off a few Tullow voters seen as their Deering flyer had Tullow spelt wrong using "Tollow"

Can't say I know Hurley but I do welcome another Carlow candidate from a possible Government party.

I do know Des Hurley and he is an admirable person, who has worked hard all his life to support his family and community. I wish him the best with his candidacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

Tullow is not in the Carlow/Kilkenny Constituency. The Tullow voters were moved into the Wicklow constituency about a decade ago. That's why many in Carlow now vote local only. Residents of Tullow cannot vote for Carlow candidates in a General Election. Deering can't lose any votes in Tullow, because he can't get any votes in Tullow. This may be his greatest weakness in the upcoming election.

I do know Des Hurley and he is an admirable person, who has worked hard all his life to support his family and community. I wish him the best with his candidacy.
    actually Scallionater you are not correct there. Tullow is in Carlow Kilkenny constituency. The piece of Carlow that is in the Wicklow voting area is Hacketstown and Rathvilly. It has been like that since 1997 and as far as I know it is Pat Deering's home territory. The D.E.Ds involved are Clonmore, Hacketstown, Haroldstown, Kineagh, Rahill, Rathvilly, Ticknock, Williamstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scallioneater

I stand corrected. I guess he will lose votes in Tollow(sp).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭royalcarlowgc

tombull82 wrote: »
    I kind of have to agree,

Des Hurley does not stick out in my mind as having done a lot in Carlow?
    (for such a long time in our presents)

Pardon my ignorance if I am incorrect,
    I am open to correction.

I remember when Carlow were playing Laois in the Football Championship a few years ago.
    What do I see proud as punch? Des Hurley wearing a Laois Jersey.
    Find it hard to vote for someone like that,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

he's from graigue. the carlow/laois border splits graigue intwain - sometimes (in places like fr byrne etc) next door neighbours are in different counties. Its understandable he was wearing a laois jersey.

• Advertisement

for example - in graigue, local elections are carlow based, national are laois based. wheres the logic in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

That's not true.
    Depending what part of Graiguecullen you live, you either vote in the Laois / Offaly constituency, or the Carlow / Kilkenny constituency.

where am I not saying "Depending what part of Graiguecullen you live, you either vote in the Laois / Offaly constituency, or the Carlow / Kilkenny constituency"? Obviously where you live depends on where you vote, but the line between counties is very very haphazard.

I was canvassing on saturday and I found out the hard way. Get yourself a copy of the constituency map if you dont believe me ...

It IS true about the local v national elections. Ask someone in rossmore view or somewhere (which is where i got the info)

(EDIT - obviously not everywhere in Graigue, but in certain areas)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

maccored wrote: »
    where am I not saying "Depending what part of Graiguecullen you live, you either vote in the Laois / Offaly constituency, or the Carlow / Kilkenny constituency"? Obviously where you live depends on where you vote, but the line between counties is very very haphazard.

I was canvassing on saturday and I found out the hard way. Get yourself a copy of the constituency map if you dont believe me ...

It IS true about the local v national elections. Ask someone in rossmore view or somewhere (which is where i got the info)

I know all to well about the county line.
    Your earlier post
    for example - in graigue, local elections are carlow based, national are laois based. wheres the logic in that?
    Parts of Graigue, not all of it.
    In graigue, i vote in Carlow local elections, and carlow kk general, 100 yards up the road in graigue my brother votes in carlow locals and laois offaly general.
    FYI the boundary line is based on the old village, from the church @ the sawmills, so most of the newer estates would be in laois.

Im missing your point. Have a chat to Laois County Council and ask them is it a case that some people in graigue vote locally in carlow and nationally in laois. I have and they confirmed that.

Parts of Graigue, not all of it.

yeah, I know. I added that to my post as an edit earlier on (at virtually the same time you posted at).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭royalcarlowgc

maccored wrote: »
    he's from graigue. the carlow/laois border splits graigue intwain - sometimes (in places like fr byrne etc) next door neighbours are in different counties. Its understandable he was wearing a laois jersey.

Obviously i'm aware of the whole Graigue (Laois/Carlow) spilt.

My point was that I would find it hard to have any faith in someone representing Carlow in the Dail (when i suits) , yet when once the championship commences they are parading around the town wearing a Laois jersey (when it suits).

thats probably more down to where in graigue he lives. if he lived in a different part, he might have been in laois county council (or representing laois) instead. besides - showing support at a sporting event shouldnt determine if you want a man to represent you or not. Im not actually a labour support btw - I just realised Im starting to sound like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

Des Hurleys canvassers called to us the other day, yet we're in one of the newer graigue estates.

on check the register also it doesnt show my estates for carlow or laois/offally.

wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Des Hurley in not a suitable candidate to represent Carlow.
    He is too old and has been in the Council too long with out any major contribution. WE NEED YOUNG PEOPLE WITH VISION.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 swerveball

Looks like we're going to get a chance to give our verdict on what has to be the worst government in the history of the state. And not a moment too soon! Only for Labour motion of no confidence we might have had to endure this crowd for another few more painful months.
    I don't subscribe to the view that anyone who gets involved in public life is in it for the money. If you want real change, make it happen.
    Des Hurley has made a contribution to public life in carlow for the last twenty years. He's an honest, hard-working guy looking for your support to bring about national change and to make sure that a Carlow voice is heard in government.
    It's quite easy to have a snipe. It's far more productive to stand up for an ideal you believe in.

swerveball wrote: »
    Looks like we're going to get a chance to give our verdict on what has to be the worst government in the history of the state. And not a moment too soon! Only for Labour motion of no confidence we might have had to endure this crowd for another few more painful months.
    I don't subscribe to the view that anyone who gets involved in public life is in it for the money. If you want real change, make it happen.
    Des Hurley has made a contribution to public life in carlow for the last twenty years. He's an honest, hard-working guy looking for your support to bring about national change and to make sure that a Carlow voice is heard in government.
    It's quite easy to have a snipe. It's far more productive to stand up for an ideal you believe in.

Your father will be so proud of you for joining up and praising him on your very first post.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers Davidian. Well spotted on the 1st post there. I also agree with Bog Man. It would be preferable to get some new blood into government. The ability to have a few potholes filled is hardly an adequate CV for the times we live in.

" Hi, we're the IMF and we now own your country."

"Fair play, and would there be any chance of a load of fillin' for the Black Bog Road. Mrs Murphy is givin' me an awful roastin' over it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Labour are making a serious mistake facilitating the Finance Bill yet pretending they oppose it, if they really oppose it they would have moved ahead with the no confidence motion brought down the Government and brought in a new Finance Bill with FG when they get in.

I would personally like to congratulate Joan Burton for single handedly destroying any chances Labour had in the forthcoming elections.If you vote for any Labour candidates you will get exactly what you deserve.

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/great-telly-in-fairness/

that woman has a weird looking wig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I would personally like to congratulate Joan Burton for single handedly destroying any chances Labour had in the forthcoming elections.If you vote for any Labour candidates you will get exactly what you deserve.

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/great-telly-in-fairness/

Perhaps we could have a official response from Swerveball ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

swerveball wrote: »

He's right about this bit, It is time we took action and promoted the caddidate we think will do the job and if they dont exist right now, find one and get them elected. either way take an action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 swerveball

Delighted to see I've excited such comment. Genuinely great to see engagement with politics and our country.

labour have gotten a few things right over the last few years: tax breaks for developers, Bank guarantee, necessity of nationalising the real banks.

Labour is the only party serious about constitutional change which is only way to bring about real change in our politics. Politics is about having the numbers to carry out your agenda.

I will be voting Labour. I hope davidian finds his/her candidate and party that will bring the change he/she wants.

• Advertisement

To Swerveball: why don't you just come out straight and declare your allegiance? I have no problem with a Labourite standing up for the party but I do have a problem with 'product placement'.

So which is it - party hack or interested bystander?

Advertisement