Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike frame from China

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

yeah i got one on ebay from a seller called bikebicycle99.
    I think it was dirt cheap, about $150 plus shipping.
    Was sent by reg post so i could track it all the way, no customs charges incurred.
    Very nice frame, stiff but not too stiff, stuck ultegra on it and it gets admiring comments all the time.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

this frame arrived yesterday from china.

http://i.imgur.com/pR9RH.jpg

had read loads at another forum where a few people had bought the same frame from the same seller and reviews were positive. €300 for frame+fork+headset delivered.

The seller "maniac_bicycle" made $50 invoice for me and I avoided paying any duty.

Ive yet to build it up but the frame was well packaged and seems fine. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Will you let us know if you an issue with the routing of the cable's via BB guide.
    ShevY wrote: »

had read loads at another forum where a few people had bought the same frame from the same seller and reviews were positive. €300 for frame+fork+headset delivered.

The seller "maniac_bicycle" made $50 invoice for me and I avoided paying any duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I'm just wondering has any one ever ordered a bike frame or parts from China, if so what was the quailty like?

Also does anyone know if you get charged custom taxes?

This is the frame I was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Triathlon-Time-Trial-Road-Bike-Full-Carbon-Framest-L-/280611790971?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item4155c4207b

Oh a Fixed gear carbon, could be a good project :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

ShevY wrote: »

That's one hell of a deal:)
    Please post a review, when you start riding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

You might have already been aware of it but in case you weren't take note of what kona has pointed out. The horizontal dropouts indicate that it is for a fixed gear bike i.e. shifters would be useless for this bike build.
    I'm just wondering has any one ever ordered a bike frame or parts from China, if so what was the quailty like?

Also does anyone know if you get charged custom taxes?

This is the frame I was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Triathlon-Time-Trial-Road-Bike-Full-Carbon-Framest-L-/280611790971?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item4155c4207b
    kona wrote: »
    Oh a Fixed gear carbon, could be a good project :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭deise muay thai

Oh I must of put up the wrong link, its just the customs and taxes I was worried about, but I can sort that out with the seller now.

Do a worldwide search for 'carbon frame' on ebay.com
    $535 is cheap (relatively) for a carbon frame but there are much cheaper Chinese frames available on ebay.

Edit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/54cm-Full-Carbon-12K-Road-Bike-Monocoque-Frame-Fork-/220727577082?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item33646389fa

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Lemag wrote: »
    You might have already been aware of it but in case you weren't take note of what kona has pointed out. The horizontal dropouts indicate that it is for a fixed gear bike i.e. shifters would be useless for this bike build.

No that's designed to take a rear mech, notice the small threaded hole near the back of the drop out. Some TT bikes have Horizontal drop outs for quicker replacement of the rear wheel.

No that's designed to take a rear mech, notice the small threaded hole near the back of the drop out. Some TT bikes have Horizontal drop outs for quicker replacement of the rear wheel.
    I don't fully get you. My thoughts, and I've never had nor ever really looked at a fixed gear bike, were that the dropouts were horizontal as there'd be no rear mech that one would have to get around when slotting the wheel on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

It would be a bigger pain in the hole to remove a Bike that has a derailleur and Horizontal dropouts than on with vertical IMO. Where does the chain go?

That frame has a mount for a front mech so I presume it can take a rear derailleur!

I was just remarking that the dropouts could make a very very light fixe, maybe under 6KG :) Be a good project.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Oh I must of put up the wrong link, its just the customs and taxes I was worried about, but I can sort that out with the seller now.
    Yes, customs duty and VAT is due. If you conspire with the seller to undervalue the goods on importation, you will be committing an offence, and potentially liable to prosecution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

any chinese group sets going? there could be a saving on these as are small and light so postage wouldn't be huge

given that they make such a huge proportion of the world bicycles http://www.chinesebikes.net/chinese-bicycle-manufacturers.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lemag wrote: »
    I don't fully get you. My thoughts, and I've never had nor ever really looked at a fixed gear bike, were that the dropouts were horizontal as there'd be no rear mech that one would have to get around when slotting the wheel on.

Track bikes have horizontal dropouts to enable easy adjustment of chain tension.

My Planet-X Stealth has horizontal dropouts and derailleurs. Like this. I don't know why, brain not engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lumen wrote: »
    Track bikes have horizontal dropouts to enable easy adjustment of chain tension.

My Planet-X Stealth has horizontal dropouts and derailleurs. Like this. I don't know why, brain not engaged.

I think it's to get fag-paper clearances between the rear wheel and the seat-tube. I'm not sure of the aero benefits of that though - they're probably minuscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fan

Loads of info HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Both my Planet X Stealth and Cervelo P3C have Horizontal dropouts. Makes it easier to get the rear wheel into the cutaway section behind the seattube.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lumen wrote: »

My understanding, or what TT frame makers say, is to allow you an adjustable wheelbase lenght. I am not sure what differenece 20-30mm would make but.. Also as Tom mentioned its probably to allow various tyre sizes to be used with the cut out.

aidanki wrote: »
    any chinese group sets going? there could be a saving on these as are small and light so postage wouldn't be huge

given that they make such a huge proportion of the world bicycles http://www.chinesebikes.net/chinese-bicycle-manufacturers.htm
    There's microSHIFT which are taiwanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

These frames look great. Does anyone know to what extent they have been safety tested? Are they simply unbranded versions of famililar frames or are they sourced via an independant company? Has anyone ever had to return one for size-change and was it a big-deal?

• Advertisement

I suggest you take a read of the dedicated threads on Road Bike Review..
    There are 4 big threads.
    They give a heads up for size etc.As regards testing Hong-Fu and Great Keen claim to adhere to standards as as of YET there have been no DOCUMENTED failures.
    I rode a hong-fu FM-001 with the wavy forks for a good while last year and really couldnt fault it.
    Furiosox rode one as well. I am sure some others here did too.
    Anyway here is the link RBR thread 4 with links on page 1 to thread 1,2 and 3
    If you are gonna read them -mug of coffee and a large packet of your fav bikkies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

These frames look great. Does anyone know to what extent they have been safety tested? Are they simply unbranded versions of famililar frames or are they sourced via an independant company? Has anyone ever had to return one for size-change and was it a big-deal?

Unlicensed copies I reckon. Doubt the brands they copy would endorse it in any way.

Same as Kellogg's don't make cereal for anyone else.....

I think the way they get around it is one of 2 ways
    Way 1. The use molds of bikes to which patents/rights have or are about to expire.
    Way 2. They make minor changes to a part of the frame, be it a curvy top tube, a difference in the brake bridge etc etc which is enough to get them out of copyright.
    Dont nobody go jumping down my throat as it is what I think.

Is it true that most carbon frames (branded or unbranded) originate from Asia now?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

furiousox wrote: »
    Is it true that most carbon frames (branded or unbranded) originate from Asia now?

That's the common understanding. Not that it is a problem, as that is where the factories are set up, so all the technology and know how is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

ladies and gentlemen,

see a lot of stuff over on roadbike review forum about chinese frames and even group sets

anyone on here ever done the whole importing thing from the far east

if so how did it go

• Registered Users Posts: 31 geraldf

aidanki wrote: »
    ladies and gentlemen,

see a lot of stuff over on roadbike review forum about chinese frames and even group sets

anyone on here ever done the whole importing thing from the far east

if so how did it go

yep i did it last year with groupset aswel, i think it came in at about 600euros for full bike, the frame looks like the old kuota frame, overall i think it was ok but there are a couple of things i would like to comment on, the frame is not very stiff when climbing, the groupset for wat you pay for it is good. i'd like to hear about other frames as to how stiff they are, i'll put up some pics of my bike when i find out how to do it

Advertisement